10343?????????????

parkboy

Threads
I picked up a 10343 a couple of weeks ago, which looked like it had not been used much. I cleaned out the carburetor and it ran really good. So, I put a mulch plate in and mulched the leaves in 2 yards and made a $100.00! I looked up the serial and model numbers and found that this outfit was called the "Green Machine" (this one has a black rather than green shroud) and was only made for one year - 1994. I presume that this 4 horse V series engine was made by Tecumseh, but I can't confirm that. Anybody know about this neat little mower????

Parkboy

parkboy

Threads
Best I could tell, it was some deal between Briggs and Komatsu Zenoah that started in 1987, but "This venture was not successful, because the rising price of the yen made the engine too expensive in the U.S." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briggs_&_Stratton)

Z,

Thanks for the information - very interesting. I'm sure that this is the original engine as the whole machine has not been used much. I may have stumbled onto a rare one!

Best Regards,

Parkboy

Lawnboy77

Threads
The V series engine is not really rare, used for many models in the mid 90s. It has the same rotating assembly as the OMC/Lawnboy F series engine, but has a slightly higher compression cylinder head. It was just Toro's cheaper version of the Lawnboy F series engine to be sold at the big box stores on the steel deck Lawnboys and Toros. A good, strong engine, but loctite on the hardware is a must if you want it to stay assembled. Just a note for those that may not know, but Lawnboy was bought out by Toro in 1989.

mikehouse

Threads
Very interesting.I've come in possession of a lawnboy mower myself.Model 10330,Serial #9903070.This mower was made in 1999.I knew Toro bought 'em out,but didn't know when.So if they bought them out in '89,why is this mower made in '99?

Russ2251

Threads
why is this mower made in '99?
Why not?
Lawn-Boy still exists...they just ain't what they used to be.
A couple of links posted incorrectly identify engines as Briggs & Stratton. Those are Briggs numbers but are the snow engines known as R*Tek and were never used on any lawnmower.
The 10343 is definitely a Toro/Lawn-Boy model V...not Tecumseh or Briggs.
As Lawnboy77 stated, it really is a disguised model F.
Some years ago I modified one for Gokart use.
lawn-boy v.jpg

Last edited: