Dripping Spark Arrestor

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Stihl BG55 blower. Every time that I fire it up to use the blower there is a gas or oil-like liquid that drips from the spark arrestor or from that area it seems. Any idea of what may be causing the dripping liquid?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What fuel/oil ratio are you running?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did, until you said 50:1.

It isn't all that uncommon for 2-cycles to 'slobber' a little oil out the exhaust. I have and Echo string trimmer that slobbered oil out the exhaust very bad when I was running 32:1. When I went to the recommended 50:1, it stopped.

I have heard of people using Amsoil 2-cycle oil at 100:1 but I haven't done it myself. Maybe one of these folks with chime in.

zman111666

Threads
Might just be adjusted too rich on the high speed adjustment. If it has the 2 mixture screws, while the blower is running at top speed, turn the high speed screw (on the outside, closer to the filter) clockwise (closing it) a quarter turn, and see if the engine speeds up. If it does, keep closing it until it is going at top speed, then open it just enough for it to slow down just a little. If that isn't the case, I would pull the muffler altogether, and check not only the spark arrestor, but also the exhaust port on the block for any carbon buildup. Clean the muffler and re-assemble. If all that is good or doesn't make a difference, it's time for a good carb cleaning. All the above is assuming the air filter is clean...

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it "smoke" while running, as mentioned earlier it MIGHT be your fuel-mix, I am among those that strongly believe in using the 100:1 mix, You will find arguments here all year-long for and against this issue, all I can say is, if you decide to try the 100:1 mix, BE SURE !!! you measure correctly ! ( I mix 1.2 oz. of Opti-2 with 1 GALLON of gas ) I personally use OPTI-2 synthetic, have been for about 25-30 years now, NEVER an engine failure, ( I have a Maruyama BC241 brush-cutter, and a Shindaiwa LE20 stick-edger, both OVER 25 years old, still running, ( just have a hard time finding parts for those machines,) Have a 5 year old Stihl FS-90R been using OPTI-2 since day 1 ... It's YOUR call,

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165

I get mine at the local Tru-Value Hardware store, ( my local mower shops just "PUSH" Stihl, and JD oil mixes ) I have a small dealer that has it but he's quite a distance to travel. ... OPTI-2.JPG

Kennykenny

Threads
Does it "smoke" while running, as mentioned earlier it MIGHT be your fuel-mix, I am among those that strongly believe in using the 100:1 mix, You will find arguments here all year-long for and against this issue, all I can say is, if you decide to try the 100:1 mix, BE SURE !!! you measure correctly ! ( I mix 1.2 oz. of Opti-2 with 1 GALLON of gas ) I personally use OPTI-2 synthetic, have been for about 25-30 years now, NEVER an engine failure, ( I have a Maruyama BC241 brush-cutter, and a Shindaiwa LE20 stick-edger, both OVER 25 years old, still running, ( just have a hard time finding parts for those machines,) Have a 5 year old Stihl FS-90R been using OPTI-2 since day 1 ... It's YOUR call,

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165

I get mine at the local Tru-Value Hardware store, ( my local mower shops just "PUSH" Stihl, and JD oil mixes ) I have a small dealer that has it but he's quite a distance to travel. ... View attachment 34885

No, smoke is not an issue.

primerbulb120

Threads
I use Husqvarna 2-cycle oil mixed at 50:1 in all my equipment, the equipment I repair, and the equipment I sell. It's a very high quality synthetic oil, and it also has fuel stabilizer in it to keep your fuel from going bad. You can get it at Lowes, it's in a black bottle with a blue sticker.

Can you post a picture of the blower so I can see where it's dripping and what it looks like?

Kennykenny

Threads
I use Husqvarna 2-cycle oil mixed at 50:1 in all my equipment, the equipment I repair, and the equipment I sell. It's a very high quality synthetic oil, and it also has fuel stabilizer in it to keep your fuel from going bad. You can get it at Lowes, it's in a black bottle with a blue sticker.

Can you post a picture of the blower so I can see where it's dripping and what it looks like?

Thanks Primer. Here is the pic of the blower and the arrestor. I will add a pic of the drippage when I use it again and it happens.

Attachments

• blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 27

snowbelt_subie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Primer. Here is the pic of the blower and the arrestor. I will add a pic of the drippage when I use it again and it happens.

how old is the blower could be from just general use and not having the compression it used to have. this leaves more un-burnt fuel and oil in the exhaust gasses and will slobber a little.

another thing it could be running a little rich as well if you wanted to lean it out a little. not to the point of getting a lean bog but at the point where you still get good throttle response.