Clutch won't engage even though it has been replaced and appears to have power

LCharlier

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Clutch won't engage even though it has been replaced and appears to have power
2007 Super Z - blades stopped turning in mid-mow a few weeks back. Checked PTO switch, fuses and relays - everything's appears OK. Checked voltage at end of wiring harness where it plugs into clutch - 0.0 volts when PTO switch is off and 13.8 volts when PTO switch is on. Given symptoms and age of mower, I purchased new clutch from Xtreme Outdoor Power Equipment and installed it along with a new belt. As an electrical engineer, I just knew that this would fix it <grin> - I was wrong!

Clutch still won't engage - how is that possible? I have a new clutch with power going to it yet it doesn't work. Is there something I'm missing in the Super Z's electrical design that is somehow limiting current to the clutch such that it isn't receiving the minimum current to engage the clutch?

Please feel free to point out something obvious that I have overlooked. Thanks in advance for any-and-all assistance.

Lloyd

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Clutch won't engage even though it has been replaced and appears to have power
Sounds like a defective clutch to me.

When you activate the mower clutch with the engine off can you hear a 'click'?

zman111666

Threads
I'm with cpurvis. If you have voltage, sounds like a bum clutch. Unless it was like a sheared key, and you didn't notice it when you put in the new clutch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly did you also have a ground at the clutch plug ?
Next check that the polarity of the replacement clutch is correct for your plug.
Some are polarity dependent .

blueberrymuzik

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you still have the old clutch, bench test it with a 12 volt power source. It sounds as if it may be ok. If you don't still have the old one available, try some jumper wires to the new one, without the engine running. You will be able to feel it energize and lock itself to the engine crankshaft, if it is ok.

IMKCMAC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this is an old thread.I assume you've figured out the problem by now. I once had the same issue with my Super Z. It wound up being the little jumper wire between the clutch and wiring harness. I found one on line and also it was stated somewhere to make sure it had the resistor in that short wiring harness. Never had an issue with clutch since. Got a brand new clutch waiting for the current(second one) to fail.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Sub'd