1500 Ferris Crank but no spark

MStanfield

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1500 Ferris with Kawasaki FH721V.

Without warning, I have a no start condition. After searching, motor will crank but no spark to either cylinder. If I remove the kill wires from each coil, it starts and runs perfect. I went through and tested continuity at each safety switch and ignition switch; all good. I followed all wires from coils to switch; cannot find a break (i.e. mice); this also has continuity from kill wires to switch harness.

What else do I check? Coils were new this spring...motor runs great otherwise

Can somebody help?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

One at a time you are going to have to go through the mowers safety switches and relays.
Safety switches work in pairs.
Seat + PTO
Seat + parking brake
Parking brake + lap bars
plus
PTO all by itself with engine not running.

The kill wire is a ground circuit so if the kill wire is grounding out to the engine or mower anywhere it will stop the sparks.
We don't get Ferris down here so I have no service information for them, but the proceedue is the same for every mower.
A wiring diagram will be of great assistance as there is no standard wiring colours for mowers,

If there is a bunch of relays, buy a new one then substitute one at a time.
I find it easier to use a test lamp hooked up backwards ( ground wire on battery + and probe looking for ground in the harness ) but make sure you disconnect the wires at the coils first because if they see battery voltage for the briefest time they will be toast.

Before you start, make sure the PTO switch is off and if you can get at it a good spray with your goo of choice ( WD 40 etc ) and work the switch back & forth as they do get dusty.
All the wires on the PTO switch, except the 2 closest to the knob are safety wires.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Wiring Diagram would help if anyone got one......

MStanfield

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

One at a time you are going to have to go through the mowers safety switches and relays.
Safety switches work in pairs.
Seat + PTO
Seat + parking brake
Parking brake + lap bars
plus
PTO all by itself with engine not running.

The kill wire is a ground circuit so if the kill wire is grounding out to the engine or mower anywhere it will stop the sparks.
We don't get Ferris down here so I have no service information for them, but the proceedue is the same for every mower.
A wiring diagram will be of great assistance as there is no standard wiring colours for mowers,

If there is a bunch of relays, buy a new one then substitute one at a time.
I find it easier to use a test lamp hooked up backwards ( ground wire on battery + and probe looking for ground in the harness ) but make sure you disconnect the wires at the coils first because if they see battery voltage for the briefest time they will be toast.

Before you start, make sure the PTO switch is off and if you can get at it a good spray with your goo of choice ( WD 40 etc ) and work the switch back & forth as they do get dusty.
All the wires on the PTO switch, except the 2 closest to the knob are safety wires.

Thanks for your reply!
I have checked all the safety switches....don't really understand you comments about working in pairs....

What is odd is that I have continuity from the ignition switch harness to the kill wire at coil; can I get continuity and still have a short? I have also looked at all wires, cannot find break or torn insulation

The mower runs fine with Kill wires disconnected.....

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take off the kill wire on the key switch then try it, if it works switch is bad. or check to see if you have continuity from the kill wire on the switch to ground when the key is on....you shouldn't have..! could do with a wiring diagram.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The magneto is self powering.
The kill wire goes from open circuit ( running ) to closed circuit ( engine off ).
All those safety switches ground that wire to turn off the engine, that is how it works.

So continuity at the ignition switch between the G ( ground ) & M ( magneto ) terminals all the time will mean the engine will not spark.