Briggs and Stratton Fuel pumps

deminin

Threads
Sometime in recent years, B&S changed their fuel pumps from the old style "rectangular" style to the newer "round" style. I had some fuel leakage on my older generator with a 10HP B&S motor fuel pump last year, and had to replace it with one of these newer "round" pumps. I also have this "round" pump on my Husqvarna 24HP riding mower. These "round" pumps seem to be very hard to "prime" and get the engine running....so much so, that I have gotten into the habit of giving the air filter a quick shot of Starter Fluid to get the engine running quickly....instead of wearing myself out pulling the starter cord on the generator, or running the battery down on the mower. Am I unique, or has anyone else noticed that these round B&S fuel pumps are a "pain"? Has anyone found a secret to starting the engine more quickly with these pumps? Even the owners manual on the Husqvarna mower says the engine should start "within 15 seconds"....that seems ridiculous to me. Unfortunately, the old "rectangular" pump I had on the generator had a cracked body, or I would have rebuilt it....and I haven't found anyplace on the Internet which still has any of these old style pumps for sale.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have replaced many fuel pumps and never ran into a priming problem. I would think you got a defective fuel pump.

deminin

Threads
I have replaced many fuel pumps and never ran into a priming problem. I would think you got a defective fuel pump.

I would think "defective" also...if it weren't happening on two different engines...AND Husqvarna even states in the Owners Manual that it may require up to 15 seconds to start the engine. To me, that points to a poorly designed fuel pump. Once I get these engines started, everything runs great...it's just the initial startup after sitting for any period of a day, or more.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would think "defective" also...if it weren't happening on two different engines...AND Husqvarna even states in the Owners Manual that it may Once I get these engines started, everything runs great...it's just the initial startup after sitting for any period of a day, or more.

A fuel pump should hold pressure to the needle valve in the carburetor. I will still say defective pump. Are these good OEM pumps or Chinese junk.

deminin

Threads
A fuel pump should hold pressure to the needle valve in the carburetor. I will still say defective pump. Are these good OEM pumps or Chinese junk.

Yes, a fuel pump "Should" hold pressure, but these B&S "round" pumps don't seem to do so...in fact, they have a "vent" which probably releases any built up pressure. I would assume the one's I got are OEM....as the one on the mower came with the mower, and the replacement I bought for the generator came from Home Depot. If I ever find a PN 692026 for sale, I will certainly buy one...maybe two...for the generator. AND....in all likelihood, All of these current B&S pumps are Chinese Junk.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pump has a check valve on the outlet side.
The check valve is what holds pressure between the pump and the carb.
Inside there is a diaphragm and a small spring.
The air vent is necessary or the pump will not work.
The new round ones are simpler and thus cheaper to build.
I suggest you pull a couple apart to see how they work.

Some cheap copies use a cheaper type of rubber in the diaphragm which goes soft over time.

If the float bowl is more than 3/4 full then the engine should start and my suggestion is cleaning out the idle circuit in the carb which is most likely blocked.

NorthBama

Threads
i am with Bert on this one to start the engine pulls fuel from the bowl and the pump refills the bowl

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, a fuel pump "Should" hold pressure, but these B&S "round" pumps don't seem to do so...in fact, they have a "vent" which probably releases any built up pressure. I would assume the one's I got are OEM....as the one on the mower came with the mower, and the replacement I bought for the generator came from Home Depot. If I ever find a PN 692026 for sale, I will certainly buy one...maybe two...for the generator. AND....in all likelihood, All of these current B&S pumps are Chinese Junk.

NO GUARANTEE, But you might check this out ...

https://www.rcpw.com/briggs-stratto...MIp-vYs6vE1wIVR7XACh0eMASrEAQYBiABEgLCU_D_BwE

https://shop.stollerlawnandgarden.net/OEMpartfinder.htm#/s/BRG//692026/1/

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/lam/pt/support/faqs/where-can-i-find-old-antique-obsolete-parts
( give this a good look..scroll down )

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/repair-parts#/s/BRG//692026/1/

I feel for you, and I too like the OEM better than replacements, but sometimes it's a losing battle, all we can do is try ...!!

deminin

Threads
To boobala:

Thanks for the possible locations where I might be able to find the old style pump for the generator....I will do some good searching tomorrow. I remain highly suspicious of these new style fuel pumps...especially since I am having the same troubles with two different engines...one of which is nearly new (the mower...and the owners manual clearly states that starting the engine may require as much as 15 seconds). I have just resigned myself to giving the engines a quick burst of starter fluid...at which point they fire up quickly, and run flawlessly.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
To boobala:

Thanks for the possible locations where I might be able to find the old style pump for the generator....I will do some good searching tomorrow. I remain highly suspicious of these new style fuel pumps...especially since I am having the same troubles with two different engines...one of which is nearly new (the mower...and the owners manual clearly states that starting the engine may require as much as 15 seconds). I have just resigned myself to giving the engines a quick burst of starter fluid...at which point they fire up quickly, and run flawlessly.

I sent the pump info. in hopes of helping to quench your desire for the OEM pump, but I have to agree with previous members that the issue is most likely your carburetor, here's a lil bit of info on carb. O/H, scroll down to your carb.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs

in any case, we're here to help, good luck !