Repairs JD LX 266 starts but dies when release brake, seat switch replaced, help!!

joea64

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD LX 266 starts but dies when release brake, seat switch replaced, help!!
Hello, I am new here so looking for some help if possible. The other day I was pulling the lawn sweeper around and my LX266 (Kohler 16hp) died while just driving. It restarted right away and ran for another 5-10 mins then died again and then it started but died as soon as I released the brake. This happened several years ago and I changed the Seat Safety switch without checking continuity of the switch and it fixed my problem. This time I thought I was getting smart and checked the all the safety switches for continuity. All good. I did some more research and tried going through the wiring and checking voltages on the safety circuit. Green LED is lit on the IM board with Brake on, but no green light when sitting on the seat alone (no Brake). Should green light be on then? I read somewhere it should be, key in on position. I have 12.22V at the battery, at the fuses, and at the two yellow wires coming out of the bottom terminal block (X3?) on the IM, one wire goes to the Seat switch and one to PTO. Next test even with Seat switch out and hand operated to make it, I do not have voltage at the pink return wire in the top Terminal block (X2?) on the IM. No broke wires anywhere that I can find. A mechanic told me it could be the key switch. I haven't checked that yet. Somehow he said it is part of the safety circuit too for power? I bought a new seat switch at the shop with the mechanic just to thank him for picking his brain and thought it couldn't hurt to eliminate it completely, even though I had checked the continuity already. As I thought no change. So does anybody have ideas? How do I check the key switch to confirm it is bad? Also does anyone have the Service manual for the LX 266? I could sure use it if someone does. Thanks! Joe

An update to this testing I referred to above about no voltage at the pink return wire from seat switch. After probing and making good contact with my multimeter, I do have 12+V at the return Pink wire in the top terminal block X2 from the seat switch but no green light on unless I depress the brake. Does this mean my Key switch/IM board needs replacement? IE should the green light be on if either brake switch made or seat switch made? Since light will go on with brake on and motor will start but won't ever start with just the seat switch made seems weird the green light would come on for just the seat switch but I am no expert and do not have a service manual. Any help welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Safety circuits are all ground circuits .
They work by providing alternative grounding routes for the magneto.
Most switches are double pole type one side has voltage ( cranking circuit ) and the other is a ground circuit.
The seat switch is the exception as it ground only.

They work in pairs
PTO + Seat
Brake + Seat

joea64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most switches are double pole type one side has voltage ( cranking circuit ) and the other is a ground circuit.

They work in pairs
PTO + Seat
Brake + Seat

An update to this testing I referred to above about no voltage at the pink return wire from seat switch. After probing and making good contact with my multimeter, I do have 12+V at the return Pink wire in the top terminal block X2 from the seat switch but no green light on unless I depress the brake. Does this mean my Key switch/IM board needs replacement? IE should the green light be on if either brake switch made or seat switch made? Since light will go on with brake on and motor will start but won't ever start with just the seat switch made seems weird the green light would come on for just the seat switch, but I am no expert and do not have a service manual. Any help welcome. Still looking for why it dies when I release brake with seat switch working?

Thanks,

Joe

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads

They work in pairs
PTO + Seat
Brake + Seat

Going by the wiring diagram the pink wire at the seat switch is 12v and is connected to the hour meter and then from F2 fuse from the key switch, from the seat switch it goes to the time delay IC in the time delay control module.

http://esnafhospital.com/wiring/wiring-diagram-for-john-deere-lx266

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

joea64

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going by the wiring diagram the pink wire at the seat switch is 12v and is connected to the hour meter and then from F2 fuse from the key switch, from the seat switch it goes to the time delay IC in the time delay control module.

link---esnafhospital.com/wiring/wiring-diagram-for-john-deere-lx266

Sorry but the link doesn't work. It takes me to other JD drawings. Most links on that website go to different pages than described. Still strugggling with this thing. Checked PTO switch for Continuity and it was slightly flakey on the first set of terminals so I replaced it and still same problem. Still wondering if it is the key switch and IM board.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without a wiring diagram its hard to help you, is there a ignition relay..?

NorthBama

Threads
found this on another site maybe will help

Green = all safety systems GO for engine start. I.E., brake on, PTO off.

Red = all safety systems GO for PTO operation. I.E., operator in seat