Troy-bilt TB30R Deck removal tips?

bdcs64

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wanted to remove the deck from my new Troy-Bilt TB30R to clean and change the blade.

In the manual there are steps listed but the manual doesn't mention removing the belt guide/guard bar. :confused2:

It seems to me that it would necessary to do so to get enough slack to remove the belt form the PTO.

Has any one doe this successfully?

Is the elt guide/guard bar hard to get back on?

The manual reads:

1. Place the PTO lever in the disengaged (OFF) position and engage the parking brake.
2. Lower the deck by moving the deck lift lever into the bottom notch on the right fender.
3. Remove the bow-tie cotter pin (a) and flat washer (b) from the deck lift assembly, and retain for reinstallation later.
4. Remove the belt from around the tractor’s PTO pulley.
5. Remove the remaining bow-tie cotter pins (a) securing the deck to the riding mower.
Note: When reassembling, the bow-tie clips (a) should be re-installed from the top down.
6. Unplug the wire pigtail from the deck switch.
7. Move the deck lift lever into the top notch on the right fender to raise the deck lift arms up and out of the way.
8. Carefully remove the PTO cable from the rear of the cutting deck. Remove the spring from the deck idler bracket.

Thanks in advance for any advice from someone who has remove the deck on this model. :thumbsup:

View attachment 34817
View attachment 34818

AndrewSDe

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you take the 3 links off the deck and lower the cutter box to the 1st position (lowest) the deck will not slide out. After taking off various bits I found that disconnecting the lever for the cutter box height and jacking up the tractor a couple of inches allowed the cutter box to drop enough to slide it freely backwards enough to roll the belt off the motor pulley. The belt guide is not shown in the manual but does not need to be removed and the old belt can be easily pulled through the guide. Make sure to remove the safety switch cable from the right of the cutter box and the spring connection from the left hand side of the cutter box. You can now pull the belt through the belt guide and pull the cutter box out of the left side of the tractor. The belt retention guide bar on the tension pulley does not need to be removed as you can slide the belt between it and the tension pulley. Note the route that the old belt takes and put the new belt on starting at the deck pulley, around tension pulley leaving a loop to go around the engine pulley.
Putting things back together is relatively easy but the height adjustment levers (left and right) are sprung so they need to be pushed down (hard) to allow the cutter box support pins to engage in the height adjustment levers. Put wedges on the ground at the back of the cutter box and lower the jack to put the tractor back on level ground. The height adjustment lever arm can now be bolted back on.