Model 917.256930 No Crank - Cant find issue

omerta14

Threads
Hi All.

I have an older model 917.256930 craftsman rider. Saved it from the scrap yard and trying to get it started.

Tried to crank it over with key and nothing... I have read other posts here and other places and have done the following to troubleshoot.

Has new battery.
Checked continuity on switch and seemed that might be the issue as there was a issue with one of the tests...so got a new switch. Still no start.

Got out the meter and started testing all switches. Seat, clutch and brake switch all tested successfully.

Checked Solenoid: 12v from battery present at post....can jump the terminals and the starter will turn.

The issue I found was that there was no power at the white wire on the solenoid. BTW, this is a 3 post solenoid.

Everything I read was that this was probably a switch, but I found all of them to be functioning.

So....any suggestions to where I should look? Grounds look to be ok, so I am really at a loss.

Thanks for any suggestions, have a great day.

Mike.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seat switch is not in the starting circuit. Have you checked the fuse? It looks like it is under the seat. Have you checked the saftey switches to make sure they are being engaged? they get bent and moved out of the way sometimes.

omerta14

Threads
Thanks for your response....yes I did check the fuse as well..Forgot to put that in my post.

I did make sure the switches were engaging...I put meter on continuity and placed probes on switch terminals. Ex: Brake switch - Pushed down pedal and heard audible sound, release and no sound.

I visually looked at the clutch switch engage and disengage....button was being pushed up as well.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Going over this here because I am a little sick and my mind is not working right.
First, the safety switches will not give you a no crank issue just a no start issue. We can rule out the safety switches right now.
You say there is no power to the small wire at the solenoid. That would point me in the direction of the key switch. What part number did you order and install? trace the small wire off the solenoid back to the key switch and check the opposite side terminal for power. If it is there let me know.

omerta14

Threads
Hope you get well soon...was sick all last week.

I ordered the part number stamped on the old switch:
Oregon 33-392

I will trace that wire tonite and get back with you.

Thanks again.
Mike.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
It really helps us to have the machines "numbers" ( see example) so we can help YOU !!

GET INFO.JPG

engine numbers should be on the engine itself.

omerta14

Threads
Craftsman Model Number 917.256930
Engine: Tecumseh OVXL120-202050

Hope that helps.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe this procedure will be of some help finding the problem.

Electrical* problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.
1. * How well you understand basic electricity.
2. *What tools you have and know how to use.
3. *How well you follow directions.
4. *You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. *You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. *You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. *The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. *If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. *These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. *Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and *voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good.*

Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. *One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.*

Third, *check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. *If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.*

Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position q(you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch).*

Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again).*

Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. *At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. *Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. *If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. *Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hope you get well soon...was sick all last week.

I ordered the part number stamped on the old switch:
Oregon 33-392

I will trace that wire tonite and get back with you.

Thanks again.
Mike.

Your part number should be STD365402. I am not finding it crossing to the part number you gave me. Check to see if the pins have the same letters on them.if not you need a different ignition switch.