GX160 stalls after about 10 seconds

seagull40

Threads
Engine starts and runs fine for about 10-15 seconds then stalls. It restarts fine but then stalls again in same time period. Playing with the choke doesn't really help keep it running any longer Any clue as to what the cause is?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the fuel flow.....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine starts and runs fine for about 10-15 seconds then stalls. It restarts fine but then stalls again in same time period. Playing with the choke doesn't really help keep it running any longer Any clue as to what the cause is?

Sounds like it's a fuel problem, got gas ?? clean fuel-tank?? clean fuel lines to filter then the carb. ?? Get a container, can, bucket or whatever, hold under fuel line at the carb. , remove fuel line from carb, if it flows good into the container, I would suggest you check to see if the choke is working properly, and the linkage is operating correctly, if all is good, I would go into the carb, possible good cleaning or O/H.

seagull40

Threads
Thanks for the speedy reply, Boobala.. I did drain the tank and replaced with fresh gas, but problem remained. It looks like there's some sort of filter fixed to the bottom of the tank, but looks hard to get to. I'll hook up another tank to the carb and see if that helps before I try to get it out. If that doesn't fix it, I'll disassemble carb and clean yet again (just did it a couple months ago) :confused2: I checked the choke valve the other day, so I know that's working.

I'm used to motors acting like this when a primer bulb's been pushed 1st, but since mine doesn't have one it seemed a little strange.

primerbulb120

Threads

Get an inline spark tester (they can be purchased at Harbor Freight for dirt cheap) and put it on the engine. When the engine starts to die, observe the tester to see if the engine has lost spark. If the engine was starving for fuel, playing with the choke should make a difference.

I'm leaning towards the spark plug, ignition coil, or oil sensor (if equipped.) Results from the spark test should tell us more.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Honda use the same in tank filter on just about everything.
They come in 2 types, a zinc one & a plastic one.
Pull the fuel line off , hold the nipple then undo the nut ,
To refit, put the fuel line on the new one, feed it through the filler hole the take the fuel line off & fit the nut.
On a couple of generators I fixed which had really big thanks I had to feed wire up through the outlet hole then out the filler hole as a guide cause it just would not go through the outlet hole due to the curve in the fuel line.

seagull40

Threads
playing with the choke should make a difference.

I thought that, too.

I do have a spark tester- 2 types actually- adjustable gap-type and light bulb-type. The engine is attached to an air compressor, so when it cuts out it comes to a halt real quick, so I'll open up the drains and use a blow gun to keep the pressure down when I test for that.

I did check the oil level, and it's all the way to the top. Thought maybe I'd disconnect the low oil sensor wire to rule that out, but not sure if doing that would actually disable the coil.

Thanks again, guys, for the help. I'll play with it tomorrow and report back.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought that, too.

I do have a spark tester- 2 types actually- adjustable gap-type and light bulb-type. The engine is attached to an air compressor, so when it cuts out it comes to a halt real quick, so I'll open up the drains and use a blow gun to keep the pressure down when I test for that.

I did check the oil level, and it's all the way to the top. Thought maybe I'd disconnect the low oil sensor wire to rule that out, but not sure if doing that would actually disable the coil.

Thanks again, guys, for the help. I'll play with it tomorrow and report back.

I'm having the same problem, with the same compressor/engine. Customer told me he'd disconnected the oil sensor a long time ago, and it ran fine with it disconnected. Now, it'll only run for a few seconds then stops.

So I'm wondering if the OP got his problem solved and what the problems was?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

Float problem in the carb.
The mower uses what fuel is in the bowl and dies...Would seem it would last a little longer than 10-15 seconds .

seagull40

Threads
I jinxed myself saying I'd get to it the next day. I should've known better :ashamed:

I haven't touched it since my last post, but I'll make an effort now that I have some motivation.

In the meantime, have u tried spraying starter fluid down its throat when it starts dying on you?