Kawasaki FX651V

P7K3

Threads
Hi,

Do you know if at the fan shroud for the FX651V will fit the FR651V?

Thanks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
No I think going by the pics...!

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 10

P7K3

Threads
Thanks,

I asked Kawasaki and they said contact a dealer.

I wanted to hook up a canister style filter and thought the metal housing would be better then the plastic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is a PIA to do but your answer will be in the parts books which you can view on line but not download.
Generally engines of the same capacity will have a common block .
The commercial ones will have bushes & bearing fitted and the domestic will have shafts running directly on the alloy casting.
If they are the same then the blower housings will be interchangable although things like the carb might also need to be changed as it might foul.

I have fitted a few Donaldsons to mowers that never had them from new but I never bolt them to the blower housing as it makes removing the blower housing more difficult.
If you are fitting a bigger & better filter because of all the dust then you will also need to remove the blower housing more often to clean the cooling fins .
I usually fit then to the ROP and then use a length of convoluted rubber tubing to connect the filter to the carb.
Fitter high on the ROP, most Donaldsons I have fitted or repositioned have never needed an element replaced, although I replace the outers every 2 years on the commercial mowers.
It is amazing the difference it makes having the intake 1' higher makes and in some mowers the filter is better than 2' higher than the top of the engine.
On mowers without ROPs fitted I mount it on top of the mudguard ( fender to some ) in a position where it does not get in the way when the engine is being serviced which is usually the starter motor side.

I did a couple of Time Cutters by bending some flat strap up the inside of the guard high over the top then down the other. This makes the guard difficult to remove but most mowers will never need to this.

Lawn Addict
Threads
No I think going by the pics...!

Agree, the FX metal housing has angled corners on the housing corners by the heads, vs the smooth radius on the FR plastic / poly covers. No practical fitment. Air would leak by like crazy if it fit. And that lost air should be helping cool the engine.

Believe me, I'm working on the exact same thing.

FWIW: remove regular air filter, & w/Donaldson set up, mounting bracket included, set it up on there & figure your way to mount it. It's not rocket science.

Kaw won't talk to ya because of emissions.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showt...tter-Air-Filter-for-Kawasaki-FR651V-out-there

P7K3

Threads
Thanks for all the info, this machine doesn't have an ROPS so I am limited to very few mounting points.
I have access to all sizes of canister filters where I work along with various hoses. I'll take a few measurements and see if any thing here will work.

If it looks like it's going to be a PIA, I'll just clean the pre filter often, I'm surprised the FR651V wasn't equipped with one from the factory.

This is a PIA to do but your answer will be in the parts books which you can view on line but not download.
Generally engines of the same capacity will have a common block .
The commercial ones will have bushes & bearing fitted and the domestic will have shafts running directly on the alloy casting.
If they are the same then the blower housings will be interchangable although things like the carb might also need to be changed as it might foul.

I have fitted a few Donaldsons to mowers that never had them from new but I never bolt them to the blower housing as it makes removing the blower housing more difficult.
If you are fitting a bigger & better filter because of all the dust then you will also need to remove the blower housing more often to clean the cooling fins .
I usually fit then to the ROP and then use a length of convoluted rubber tubing to connect the filter to the carb.
Fitter high on the ROP, most Donaldsons I have fitted or repositioned have never needed an element replaced, although I replace the outers every 2 years on the commercial mowers.
It is amazing the difference it makes having the intake 1' higher makes and in some mowers the filter is better than 2' higher than the top of the engine.
On mowers without ROPs fitted I mount it on top of the mudguard ( fender to some ) in a position where it does not get in the way when the engine is being serviced which is usually the starter motor side.

I did a couple of Time Cutters by bending some flat strap up the inside of the guard high over the top then down the other. This makes the guard difficult to remove but most mowers will never need to this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you revealed what you are trying to fit it to we might be able to offer some solutions.

There are 9 Kohler powered Great Danes in my service run and all of them originally had the Donaldsons mounted onto the blower housing and the blower housing mounting bolts.
It took near 1/2 hour to remove the filter housing which you had to do before you could pull the blower housing and naturally all of the mounting hardwear was in plain view but impossible to get any tool on.
So by the second service I had moved them all and the impulse fuel pumps and modified the finger guards & debris screens so the blower housing came off with 4 screws in about 30 sec.
Fuel pump went on a length of angle bolted to the fuel tank retaining bolts and 1.5 hours of unbilled time got knocked off the fixed price services .
If it is going on a ZTR you can make a shelf 18" to 24" above the engine and bolt the filter to that. Several of my commercial customers have done that and fitted a spray tank over the engine so they can weed spray while mowing ( battery powered ).
Both of them have contracts to mow road verges and median islands and they reckon the sprayers save better than a full hour.
have done similar set ups for some other customers on acerage who spray under the wire fences between paddocks.

P7K3

Threads
I am trying to convert to a Virgis canister filter to a 2017 Scag liberty with the Kawasaki Fr651V 21.5 Hp engine. I will have to look at mounting options when I get home tonight.
I'll see if i can come up with something.

I appreciate all the replies!!!

If you revealed what you are trying to fit it to we might be able to offer some solutions.

There are 9 Kohler powered Great Danes in my service run and all of them originally had the Donaldsons mounted onto the blower housing and the blower housing mounting bolts.
It took near 1/2 hour to remove the filter housing which you had to do before you could pull the blower housing and naturally all of the mounting hardwear was in plain view but impossible to get any tool on.
So by the second service I had moved them all and the impulse fuel pumps and modified the finger guards & debris screens so the blower housing came off with 4 screws in about 30 sec.
Fuel pump went on a length of angle bolted to the fuel tank retaining bolts and 1.5 hours of unbilled time got knocked off the fixed price services .
If it is going on a ZTR you can make a shelf 18" to 24" above the engine and bolt the filter to that. Several of my commercial customers have done that and fitted a spray tank over the engine so they can weed spray while mowing ( battery powered ).
Both of them have contracts to mow road verges and median islands and they reckon the sprayers save better than a full hour.
have done similar set ups for some other customers on acerage who spray under the wire fences between paddocks.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I don't trade up, I plan to mount my canister right where the OE filter is, That flap comes off with 2 phillips screws, then mount a flat aluminum plate to the 4 piers on the bottom, & add a rectangle aluminum box the size that would put your mounting base bracket to a level that the canister & duck-bill just clear the blower housing.

Done correctly, this can be a very solid mounting area. The concern I have is the more restrictive canister filter media may make the engine run richer. If you can find "High Altitude" jets, that could be make the difference. (if necessary).

Since our engines (FR651V) only have a main jet size #124 on mine, changing it to a leaner #122 or even # 120 a simple deal, just remove the carb bowl. Main jet is straight above it.