Toro Timecutter MX6050 60" Upgrade to Gator G6 Blades Successful but have a question

chuck$ter

Threads
  • / Toro Timecutter MX6050 60" Upgrade to Gator G6 Blades Successful but have a question
Toro Timecutter MX6050 60" Upgrade to Gator G6 Blades Successful but have a question

HI All, new to the Forum..
Recently got this 60" Mower for our 5 acres. I have about 10hrs on it and the blades are already dull and warped downward from running through standing water. So I pulled the crappy factory blades off my mower and ordered a set of 396-740 G6 Gator Blades. They dont really list them as a replacement but I went by size. After I installed them I noticed all was clear except for a small metal deflector on the rear side of the chute. The high lift part of the blade just hits by about 1/4". I took it off with the 2 bolts holding it to the deck. I assume this deflector is there to prevent the grass from re-entering the deck when not using a mulching kit? Anyway it seemed to work just great without it. No clumping after a test run. I just want to be sure I dont need to trim it and reinstall it..

The difference in size of the 2 blades is unbelievable.. Also the weight of 1 blade is as much as 2 of the factory blades. A full 1/4" thick. Even the cutting edge is 2 times as big. I'll get a better idea how good they cut this weekend.. so far I'm impressed.
IMG_1503.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro Timecutter MX6050 60" Upgrade to Gator G6 Blades Successful but have a question
Re: Toro Timecutter MX6050 60" Upgrade to Gator G6 Blades Successful but have a quest

Hi and welcome. I would advise against running through standing water. You really don't want water spraying up on your spindles imo. Also I'd suggest the G5 blades over the G6 for your deck size and horse power combo next time. The G5 are the same except not as thick and heavy. Sorry can't help with the baffle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Toro Timecutter MX6050 60" Upgrade to Gator G6 Blades Successful but have a quest

Chuck, don't get too carried away with cutting length, only the last 1" does any real work.
Have a little think about it, the only way the blade edge 3" from the end can come into contact with the grass if the leading edge chopped off a bent over blade which did not straightened back up till you were 3" further forward.
Heavier blades have more momentum so they handle to odd clump of thicker grass better and in theory should last longer.
However most Gators fail at the eng flute which brakes off well before the cutting edge is ground to the end of its effective width.
Also being heavier that take a toll on the bearings and spindle housing.
Factory blades bend when you hit a big rock, Gators break the spindle housing.

AS previously mentioned, when traversing standing water the blades should be turned off.

And standing water should not bend a blade, solid things do that.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Agree about the Gators failing at the end of the "flute" or what I call the sail. It always catches me off guard when I go to sharpen them and find the edge of it broken up/uneven. At that point I'll grind them back to competent metal again, sharpen and re-balance until I can get a new set. Despite this premature wear issue I still I find the Gator G5 and G6 blades to give a nearly ideal balance of durability, mulching ability and discharge velocity for all season/all conditions use in my area.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Heavier blades also have a bigger impact on the clutch & blade belt(s).

chuck$ter

Threads

Thanks for the input guys. As far as the standing water. That was not intentional. The grass was so thick had no idea how deep the water was. Happened a few time. I backed out. Gonna use the blade switch from now on.
Also not worried about going through spindles. Cheap replacement if needed. As It is I blew through a $50 set of blades in 10 hours.

So any input on why little diverted that I removed?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Air flow under decks is a complicated science that I for one do not understand.
Way back we use to have different dedicated decks for cutting throwing bagging & mulching, which makes perfect sense as the 3 require totally different air flow charasterics under the deck.
Hen some cleaverd Dick invented the "Universal 3 in 1 deck"
Never a truer word was spoken it universally was pathetic doing all 3 and ever since that day all decks have been "universal".
To make this happen little bit & pieces got shoved under there.

chuck$ter

Threads

One more question.. Although all seems smooth when running, I did not check the balance of the blades before install.. Is it worth pulling them and ensuring they are perfectly balanced?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have never balanced a new blade.

chuck$ter

Threads

I have never balanced a new blade.

Good to know..thanks..