Ferris ZTR mower seat switch / plug

sabregirl5150

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone! After repeated calls to Ferris, Snapper, and Briggs & Stratton "tech support" AND half a dozen dealers, my frustration has maxed out and I am hoping I can crowd source an answer to a question. Ferris ZTR mower began not starting and I attributed it to a worn / damaged seat switch (1st photo). If need be, I will replace the entire switch and the "mystery plug" (2nd and 3rd photos), but am pretty sure only the mystery plug needs to be replaced. However, I can not, for all my efforts, figure out if the mystery plug comes with the seat switch (originally part # 5100541) or if it needs to be purchased separately. I have had conflicting responses from tech support. If anyone has experience with Ferris mowers or recognizes the mystery plug and can tell me what its really called so I can search for it online, I would be everso grateful.

Also, in my frustration, I thought I could just bypass the seat switch. So I connected the two wires together and the mower started right up like a champ, but as soon as I disengaged the e-brake, it died and would not restart. I'm sure this is some sort of safety system backup, but does anyone know another way to just bypass the stupid thing? This mower is already quite old and parts are becoming harder and more expensive to obtain. And please no warnings or finger wagging re: trying to bypass the kill switch. I know it creates an increased risk to the operator should s/he fall off, but the land we work on is flat as a pancake and we're exhausted with the mower croaking every time we bounce.

seat switch.jpg
other part1.jpg
other part2.jpg

cheers! ~

sabregirl5150

Forum Newbie
Threads
Genius! Thanks so much for the quick response.

So on the starting circuit point, what you wrote makes sense (at least in my pea brain) because when I bypassed the wires under the seat the engine started but the disengaging the e-brake is what shut it down. What doesn't make sense is when I re-engaged the e-brake, it still wouldn't turn over after that. Hopefully I didn't inadvertently fry something in my experiment!

mountaincut

Threads
I have encountered a similar starting problem with my Evolution. I went and purchased the seat and e-brake switch but have not had the time to replace either (too many more important projects, just ask my better half). My starting problem was intermittent. It would start without issue several times, always in the garage, then without warning would not start if stopped while cutting out in the middle of a couple of acres. Nothing is more frustrating!

In trying to determine which switch was the problem I ran across a comment somewhere that mentioned these safety switches may frequently need a location adjustment. I did not see that the switch had much of an adjustment (through a slotted opening for the mounting screws) and passed that comment off.

However during a later occurrence when it wouldn't start I put some pressure on the e-brake handle, pulling it in the engaged direction, and the mower started the second I turned the ignition key. I tried this several other times when the mower wouldn't start and it started every time.

Give this a try and if you find it successful, try to adjust the location of this safety switch. You may need a second set of hands to help make the adjustment but this may just be your problem as well.

Good luck!

sabregirl5150

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback! I ended up getting a new connector switch because the issue seemed to be down to the wiring and worn prongs on the seat switch. However, that issue started a domino effect of more issues associated with all the "safety" catches that are wired into the mower. Finally, just yesterday, I had the last visit from a good 'ol boy that does repairs and he ended up rewiring pretty much the whole PTO line and replacing the solenoid. The mower now runs beautifully and the seat switch has been bypassed so it just stays running. Next will be a new throttle cable and *fingers crossed* will be good as new.