Hydraulic lift

tlavergne

Threads
My 1996 Troy-bilt GTX 16 has a problem with the hydraulic attachment lift. When I lift the snowblower attachment up it takes about 5 seconds for it to drift back to the ground. Not sure where to start the troubleshooting process. I don't see any leaks. Wondering if the O rings are going bad in the hydraulic cylinder (part # 1747509) or the hydraulic valve (part # 1767394). Also, if the pressure is off the system, not bearing any weight, can the hoses be detached to take cylinder or valve in for repair or is it still under pressure?
Thanks...

zman111666

Threads
With the engine off, move the control levers every which way they can go, that will relax any pressure in the system, so you can pull a cylinder. Did you check all the caps on the hydraulic block and the control unit? Also, you can usually unscrew the caps on the valves to check o-rings. Just watch for springs jumping out at you. Is this a model 13101? If so, it looks like it's pretty much obsolete, making it harder to find parts.
Just a thought, with it leaking down that fast, you might be able to hear the leak with the engine off. Lift the attachment all the way, shut off the engine, and listen to the various parts of the system to see if you can isolate where it is bypassing. A mechanics stethoscope might help.

Fragger

Threads
tlavergne my massey 2300 has an adjustment so you can control how fast your equip drops check see if someone has not closed it, it dont sound like an issue jsut a situation:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tlavergne

Threads
Think I am going to have to pull my hydraulic cylinder and control unit for a rebuild of both. Anybody ever do this?

Fragger

Threads
More than likely it is you cylinder because the control valve is telling the cylinder what to do it is jsut slow about doing it, here are some i found used on ebay.
I had to redo the power steering cylinder on my Massey and it was not fun.
Make sure you have plenty of kitty litter to absorb any soills you will have, then take plenty pictures so you can put everything back the way you removed it.
I took mine off and took it to a hydraulic place in Houston (may be a ways for you but I am sure there is one close to you ) the big guy at the counter removed the old seals and scarpers and installed the new ones . They usually charge $30 to mic them and do that but i sent my beautiful bride of 49 yrs and they did it for free. only charged me for parts .
when you install it youll have to exercise it, to get the air out unless it has a way to bleed the air out.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress, it always good to hear from folks with different problems to share with.I would wait and do the contriol valve later could be you lost and "O" ring in your control valve .

jd2.jpg

Last edited:

tlavergne

Threads
The control valve looks good and dry. The cylinder and that area is oily so that probably is a good indication. Yeah, I am sure I have a hydraulic service place within 60 miles so I will probably remove it and just take it in. The pump for all of this is the transmission which takes straight 20 w oil. I don't know but assume that after I put it back together and top of trans fluid that it will burp itself with exercise. If that doesn't work then on to the control valve. I have looked at parts on eBay but don't know if they are in any better condition than what I already have. Thanks for the info. Most of all I just need an indication that I am on the right track.
TL

Fragger

Threads
mine is a little different but had to replace the gear pump and power steering cylinder, good luck and again keep us posted .
I'm guessing that you've already check the suction screen and all that other stuff that goes along with that potentially able to lift and it drops real slow I would almost say that it's in your cylinder and not your control valve. Again thank you for sharing your information with us and continue to do so so that maybe somebody else can you learn from your exercises.
:thumbsup:

Sent on the new Sprint Network

Last edited:

tlavergne

Threads
No, I don't know anything about a suction screen. New to this...everything I have had up till now has been manual...not hydraulics. It comes up fast and with power...it just drifts down in about 10 seconds.
This belonged to an elderly neighbor who, when it got too hard for him, allowed me to blow snow for him and the neighborhood and mow his lawn. He died last spring and the family gave me the tractor, snow blower, and mower deck. So I have used this for many years but I am only now getting the opportunity to do some much needed work on it. Over the past 5 years the snowblower has been drifting down a bit faster every year. Now it is to the point that I am pulling it up constantly. I had the transmission oil and filter changed (the mechanic who did this is thorough and would assume he cleaned screens, etc. but don't really know) and I did a full tune up on it. Will concentrate on the cylinder for now.

Fragger

Threads
You are absolutely correct , if it coming up alright then you have no pressure problem , good thinking!!:thumbsup::laughing:

Last edited: