2 Chainsaws fail to start

TheBishop

Threads
I have inherited two chainsaws from friends this year. Both saws have been sitting up for around ten years or so.

I have cleaned both coils and both saws to me give a good purple spark. New spark plugs and I have rebuilt both carbs, one is a Zama and the other is a WBL. Neither carb was dirty and each was cleaned with carb cleaner before the kits. Each carb was cleaned out with a super tiny wire gently pushed thru in all holes and blown out dry.

Both chainsaws fuel lines and filters were replaced, the tanks are clean and the primer bulbs replaced. Fuel line from the primer bulb sucks fuel thru the carb from the fuel tank filter and fuel reenters tank after passing primer bulb.

One is a MAC 3516, and the other is a Homelite 20. both are 16" bars. Both saws are very clean for their age and have had very little run time history because of their condition. Both saws were kept in their own big factory bulky chainsaw cases.

I cannot get either chainsaw to fire so I am looking for help.

I have watched several videos watching guys doing the same thing in the same way and their chain saws will spit, sputter and fire up.

There is something I'm missing. I have a new Craftsman Pro with a 16" bar that I've used for two years so my need is not a running saw, I want to either get them both running or toss them out of my way. We live in an 8 acre forest with only 1/2 acre cleared for the house, so I have a continues supply of fire wood.

I can't get either chainsaw engine to spit or sputter more or less start running.

TheBishop

Threads
I forgot to say, I also removed and cleaned the two High and Low adjustment screw ports and left them at about 1.25turns out from seat.

I'm open now to try anything.

Threads
Get you an old Dawn bottle and put some of you gas mix in it. You can squirt fuel out of there in almost any directon.

Take the filter off and squirt a lil in the carb. Then try and make it pop.

What part of La. you in Mon Ami ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am NOT familiar with YOUR engines, but years ago, waaaay back, I ran into a similar scenario with a 2cycle go-kart engine, it took a friend to inform me about the "reed-plate" in that engine, IF you have such item in yours check for damaged plate or reeds, mine was located right under the carburetor on the inlet, I'm just guessing but it might be a possibility... :confused2:

TheBishop

Threads
Get you an old Dawn bottle and put some of you gas mix in it. You can squirt fuel out of there in almost any directon.

Take the filter off and squirt a lil in the carb. Then try and make it pop.

What part of La. you in Mon Ami ??

I'll try that tomorrow

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lots of things to check.
I like to start with the starter fluid / fuel down the plug hole etc.
Cleaning the coils is a waste of time .
Slip the muffler off and try starting again both on the carb and with fuel added.
If it runs for a short time then the carbs require attention.

Slip the carb off and blow some air throught it.
Best is a blower or one of those old high volume low pressure spray guns .
You can use compressed air but you need to drop the pressure way down low.

Blowing air through the venturii should lift fuel and blow it out the engine end.
If not then the carb is blocked.

PS do not smoke or do this anywhere near a heater.

while the muffler is off hane a good look at the rings and the bore.
Check for scratches and for stuck rings.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
+1 on the muffler removal tactic.

It is possible that the spark arrestor screens are plugged with carbon, or
even that mud dobbers have plugged up the muffler exhaust port.
I had that happen on a weed whacker once-most embarrassing...
An engine that cannot exhaust will not run (remember the potato up the exhaust pipe stunt??

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are the shaft seals like, did you do a compression test..

TheBishop

Threads
Strike three I'm out.

I put some starting fluid in the plug port and tried to start it, no spit, sputter or any hit of starting.

I put some starting fluid thru the carb with the air cleaner off and tried to start it, no spit or sputter either.

I waited an hour and squirted a little mix gas into the plug port and pulled the starter, no spit or sputter. I tried squirting some mix gas down the carb and pulled the starter cord and again nothing.

Not even a spit like it wanted to start.
I pulled off the starter side and connected my reversing drill with a 1/2 inch socket and pulled the trigger. The little engine turned over dozens of times without a single spit or sputter from it.

I'm almost ready to toss them both out my barn door.

I'm beginning to believe the shop repair videos on the internet, where the guy opens up a long sitting chainsaw and does everything I've done twice, are not really true.
I have repaired four other engines this year without any issues. I replaced the carb on a Honda pressure washer. Replaced the carb on a smaller Tecumseh pressure washer. Replaced the interior governor shaft of a 5K generator and cleaned out the carb on a Troy-Bilt string trimmer. And they all run great.

These chainsaw engines have stopped me in my tracks.

I have a good spark and I have fuel but I have no fire.

What else could it be?

TheBishop

Threads
I forgot to say this Tennessee Hillbilly lives in Sunset Louisiana and married to a beautiful Cajun woman.