2 Chainsaws fail to start

TheBishop

Threads
Growing up in Tennessee I never knew food could have so much flavor. Our seafood in Nashville was Catfish. I never tasted Shrimp, Crawfish, Oysters or Alligator before I met my wife.

She opened up a world of spice flavor for me at the age of 29 I never knew existed. That was 39 years ago and she still cooking her heart out for me.

But when she gets mad about something............................................ RUN.

Threads
Good for you on getting it going.......... Is your ground wire going to the coil in place ???? You should not have to add a extra ground wire.

Do you know Siggy AKA Keith Signorelli ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Success!

I improved the ground by placing a small strap or wire from the nut of the coil to the base of the spark plug and it fired when I pulled the starter.

It's a good thing I had the chain off because it surprised me so much because it fired up on the first pull. I almost dropped it as the chainsaw spun around in my hand. It fired and revved up so fast I was shocked.

With a little tweaking of the screws I got the idle set and the old girl runs great. I didn't expect it to work so I was not ready.
I let it run for a few minutes to get it hot enough and went to the nearest 3" limb and it cut fine and didn't bog at all.

Tomorrow or Saturday I'll sharpen the chain and put it back in it's case.

As soon as I can I'll open up the old MAC 3516, the other chainsaw, and give it a work over.
I was just about to give up, but you guys here gives help and information so freely it makes me carry on.

I'll try a pic.

Thanks again

AHhhh FINALLY !
glad you got it runnin, I think all involved picked-up some good info. ( I sure did) , when you mentioned "strap" , it brought to mind, those old flat woven wire ground "straps" on the cars of old, anybody else remember those ?? (they can still be found in some aircraft and electronic components these days,) amazing, ... the problems created by a faulty ground wire !!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They have straps on lawn mower today. Look at diesel powered ones.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
They have them on lawn mower today. Look at diesel powered ones.

Hey thanks Chuck, I feel 50 years younger ! I feel so good, I think I'll go beat the hell outa that kid that always throws his empty food wrapper & soda cup on my lawn as he passes by after school !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:

rgpsctl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Strike three I'm out.

I put some starting fluid in the plug port and tried to start it, no spit, sputter or any hit of starting.

I put some starting fluid thru the carb with the air cleaner off and tried to start it, no spit or sputter either.

I waited an hour and squirted a little mix gas into the plug port and pulled the starter, no spit or sputter. I tried squirting some mix gas down the carb and pulled the starter cord and again nothing.

Not even a spit like it wanted to start.
I pulled off the starter side and connected my reversing drill with a 1/2 inch socket and pulled the trigger. The little engine turned over dozens of times without a single spit or sputter from it.

I'm almost ready to toss them both out my barn door.

I'm beginning to believe the shop repair videos on the internet, where the guy opens up a long sitting chainsaw and does everything I've done twice, are not really true.
I have repaired four other engines this year without any issues. I replaced the carb on a Honda pressure washer. Replaced the carb on a smaller Tecumseh pressure washer. Replaced the interior governor shaft of a 5K generator and cleaned out the carb on a Troy-Bilt string trimmer. And they all run great.

These chainsaw engines have stopped me in my tracks.

I have a good spark and I have fuel but I have no fire.

What else could it be?

Compression is everything on a two cycle engine. A quick check for compression, is to set the chainsaw on the floor, grap starter handle, pull the chainsaw off the floor. With good compression the chainsaw will come off the floor as high as the handle is, as the weight of the chainsaw over comes compression the chainsaw will drop one revolution and hit compression stop and then drop again, doing over and over until the rope runs out. If the chainsaw just drops to the floor real quick it has low compression and will never start. As one person said remove the muffler, with the piston down look in the cylinder and check for scoring and galling of the cylinder wall, stuck rings, and check the piston what you can see for the same conditions. If all looks good the engine may be flooded, with a dry spark plug installed, try to start the engine, then remove the spark plug and see if the plug is wet, the engine is flooded. Now this is a trick I have used to help unflood a engine, you must very careful, you may or may not want to try this. Take a match, a small torch, or a piece of twisted paper. Remove spark plug, put the flame to the spark plug hole and lit on fire, sometimes the flame will jet out so keep fingers out of the way as well as flammable materials out of the way. Don't crank the engine over as this will also create a flame jet.

Threads
rgpsctl,,

The saw is running fine now..........

Fire around any part of a saw is LETHAL to your health... I might be a crazy Cajun, but not a stupid one LOL.. No one would ever try that trick...........

TheBishop

Threads
My brother-in-law Harry told me about a month ago how he test to see if an engine is getting a spark. Harry pulls the spark plug and puts a little gas down in the hole. He then holds the connected spark plug beside the hole, grounds out the plug and pulls the starter.
If a POP of fuel flames comes out of the hole, it's got a good spark from the coil.

That's not how I do it.