Greetings

Kleles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a Craftsman 21” push mower with a MTD 159cc motor. I won’t be using it until spring. My previous mower, with about 20 years of use, was rusted out, had wobbly wheels, and always seemed to make slanted cuts, no matter how I adjusted the height. I was planning to buy a new one next spring, but, while wandering around Sears (which is closing in Canada) I noticed their last mower at half price and I bought it.

The salesperson advised me to use 92 octane gas because “the carburetor in the new motors is smaller and they clog easier.” The manual recommends 87 octane gas with up to 10% ethanol. This prompted a search on the web and I came across this site, LawnWorld.

It seems that the real issue about gas is the ethanol content, which is common in 87 octane gas, but might not be in 91 octane. So I did a search and found gas stations in my area which sell non-ethanol gas. Any suggestions about which gas to use?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new mower..

welcome-smileys.pngWIN D.jpg

The salesperson don't know "jack-squat' , NON ethanol is highly recommended, BUT, if you can't get it without a hassle no-sweat, just be sure to use a GOOD gas conditioner, (such as Sta-bil or Lucas ) when you refill your gas - can at the station, most of all, don't buy more gas than you can use in a month's time. Next be VERY SURE your gas container is super-clean, visually check it ! dirty gas-cans are a major source of small engine woes . Finally, remember to never,.. re-fuel a mower while it's running, or hot, and never re-fuel indoors, SAFETY FIRST, we want ya coming back !! ...:thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I must be the person who does not know "jack-squat" as a mechanic and salesperson who said use non-ethanol fuel. No additives needed when doing this. Roughly four years ago we started recommending the use of non-ethanol fuel for all small engines. It has reduced our fuel related problems by over 75% and I will continue to give out this advise. Second thing we recommend is to drain the fuel system, including carb, if going to store for over 2 months. Works for us in this cold weather area.

Fragger

Threads
Pretty harsh words if you aint standing in front of the salesman , because i could be that sales man since i recommend the use of high octane gas for small engines since i started using it and recommending to my customers , my engines run better and my customers dont come back with carb problem . the salesman knew enough to warn you about the ethanol in the low octane gas . In my opinion it was good advice , maybe a little misworded but you got the message .

Kiele congrats on your great deal on the mower it should last your forever and welcome to the board..:thumbsup:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Consider yourself "GREETED" welcome to the forum.

We can't get non ethanol gas where I live, I do put a cap full of seafoam in every tank and run my equipment till they run free of fuel before putting them away. With my chain saws, since they are all older models, I pull the plugs out and fill the cylinders with marvel mystery oil then stand them upright till next season....btw my oldest chainsaw which is 44 years old runs like a raped ape and fires on the first pull every ******* time:thumbsup:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I must be the person who does not know "jack-squat" as a mechanic and salesperson who said use non-ethanol fuel. No additives needed when doing this. Roughly four years ago we started recommending the use of non-ethanol fuel for all small engines. It has reduced our fuel related problems by over 75% and I will continue to give out this advise. Second thing we recommend is to drain the fuel system, including carb, if going to store for over 2 months. Works for us in this cold weather area.

RE-READ my post Rivets !! .. I said IF HE HE CAN'T get NON-ETHANOL without a hassle ... ALSO, the manual states to use 87 octane, I'LL admit I'm not in YOUR neck of the woods, but here in Florida MOST ..I said MOST !! ALL have at least 10% ethanol added, so he's wasting money paying for premium grade fuel, which as I said, in FLORIDA it comes with ethanol in it !
Go back to your safe-space and play with your coloring books and Play-Doh !! AND smaller carburetors..????

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pretty harsh words if you aint standing in front of the salesman , because i could be that sales man since i recommend the use of high octane gas for small engines since i started using it and recommending to my customers , my engines run better and my customers dont come back with carb problem . the salesman knew enough to warn you about the ethanol in the low octane gas . In my opinion it was good advice , maybe a little misworded but you got the message .

Kiele congrats on your great deal on the mower it should last your forever and welcome to the board..:thumbsup:

And Fragger, just so ya know, there are MANY of us members that are Veterans, WE never lost the balls we have when we got out of the military, HARSH WORDS ?? Salesmen ?? Now I don't know if you're a Vet or not, IF so, thanks for YOUR service ! But you need to grow or RE-grow a set ! You should get along great with Rivets, maybe he'll share his safe-space with ya ! I put salespeople and lawyers in the same category which is lower than whale-schitt ! I don't mince words, I don't beat around the bush, but I really don't care what people think of me, ... excepting my wife, and our Good Lord !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boobala, I think you should reread my post, I said we RECOMMEND non-ethanol fuel. I don't know where your comments about safe place and colors comes from, but our customers keep coming back with no complaints and bring their friends along. If it works for us, why are you rattled, as every area of this continent has different fuel configurations. The OP has been given two options, with reasons, as to which way to proceed. He can now make his decision and proceed. As for me, I'll continue to pass along the knowledge which has worked for me to those who ask. If you don't agree with me, that is your option, but calling me names or childish comments don't harm me at my age.

Kleles

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new mower..

View attachment 34728View attachment 34729

The salesperson don't know "jack-squat' , NON ethanol is highly recommended, BUT, if you can't get it without a hassle no-sweat, just be sure to use a GOOD gas conditioner, (such as Sta-bil or Lucas ) when you refill your gas - can at the station, most of all, don't buy more gas than you can use in a month's time. Next be VERY SURE your gas container is super-clean, visually check it ! dirty gas-cans are a major source of small engine woes . Finally, remember to never,.. re-fuel a mower while it's running, or hot, and never re-fuel indoors, SAFETY FIRST, we want ya coming back !! ...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. Getting non-ethanol gas is not a problem (91 octane) and I bought a new 5L gas can just to be certain that it’s clean and there’s no residue. Used the previous gas can for about 40 years!