John Deere LX277asw trans leak

js2318

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an JD LX277AWS, that will be my winter project to get back into running shape again. It has the K62 Tuff Torq hydro transmission in it, and I have two leaks that I need to address.

1st one is between the main housing and cover. I tried calling tuff torq and kept going to voicemail, and none of their documents open this AM for some reason, go figure... However, it doesn't appear there is an actual gasket for this, but instead you use gasket maker such as John Deere Gasket Maker and Sealant - PM710XX280? Or is that something better?

2nd one is an the axle shaft, and looks like this is a simple seal that needs replaced. I however can't find anything on JD's website or anywhere else that shows how the rear wheel, shaft, u-joints comes apart. I'm guess is all just unbolts, but would kind of like to know what I am getting into before I tear apart.

thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While the tranny is specific to JD, they do not sell any parts for it other than the input pulley and shaft or the complete tranny.
Their web site oft goes down but most internet parts shops will sell you the seals if you search the tranny and not the mower.
Otherwise leave it for a few days and the web site will be back up again.
And yes the cases have no gasket, just sealer.
If you are going to split the box it must be cleaner than clean when you do so to prevent dirt getting into the tranny as just plain old dust will kill a hydro box in no time flat.

I do them in the office bathroom after washing down the walls with the door closed and if it has to be left then it gets covered by a damp lint free shop towel.
To date all that have been done like this have been successful.
The first two I did in the workshop started to fail after around 100 hours, so I had to replace the tranny under warranty and they go $ 2,000 ( Aus) down here.

So now they get degreased,
Steam cleaned
Soda blasted
Pressure washed
Then I split the cases.

The 3 I have done like this are all still in use and one has clocked up 300 hours without problems so it looks like this system will work.