Engine Buyer Beware......(Oil filter)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Kohler # = KH-12-050-01-S
Wix 51056 / 51056MP / 51335
Fram PH10960 / PH8172
Carquest 85056 / 85335 ( looks familiar cause Carquest are made by Wix. )

N2 8553 is a Chinese made filter distributed through the N2 network where did you get that number from ?
N2 8553 is not a Kohler part number , where did you get it from ?
The owners manual which is a free download from Cub Cadet lists KH-12-050-01-S as the number for the filter on page 30 in the photo list of consumer service parts.

There is a reason why parts suppliers are always asking for the number off the mower tag & the serial number from the engine

Thats what was in the manual....

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
And as for a fram, I would NOT use FREE filters from them. Just my .02

Through the years of buying filters and also that includes a share of Fram filters on a list of oil and air. I have never ran into a problem with any Fram filter I have bought. There must be a reason you are saying this?? Did you have a bad experience with one? As far as I know Fram makes a high quality US made filter, but each his own on this I guess. The only thing I see about a OEM filter is that its overpriced.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thats what was in the manual....

Which manual ?
The 2009, 2010 , 2011 , 2012 & 2013 owners manuals that are on the Cub Cadet web site all list the numbers quoted.

Double checked that with partstree and they list the same filter for all years of that model.
But do not believe me, check it for yourself http://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/?pageNumber=1

Can not list the URL for the Cub manual download as they are PDF's with a hidden hyperlink

When lookig for parts you should always use the number found on the tag under the seat which is all the numbers starting with 13 on the parts tree index page.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
its a 2010 Model ltx1040

Lawn Addict
Threads
Through the years of buying filters and also that includes a share of Fram filters on a list of oil and air. I have never ran into a problem with any Fram filter I have bought. There must be a reason you are saying this?? Did you have a bad experience with one? As far as I know Fram makes a high quality US made filter, but each his own on this I guess. The only thing I see about a OEM filter is that its overpriced.

Yes, on a Harley, I rebuilt the engine & owner wanted to do his own 2nd oil & filter change @ 500 miles, he bought a Fram cause it was cheap (Low cost). but the cardboard end caps inside turned to confetti thus blocking many oil passages. And the engine seized from lack of lubrication.

No more for me. But agree OEM is overpriced.

possum

Threads
Weird thing is that filter is on Amazon and Ebay for that lawntractor with that same N2 filter. Right beside it they have the usual Kohler number filter. That engine has always taken the usual KH filters and I have never seen one with the N2. But it is there on the internet. I wonder if it is for the Chinese engines that a portion of the MTD tractor line has had. Owners manuals are often wrong and not changed for many years.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Online is last place I would buy oil filters, who knows if they are 2nds or been wet or what ever.

I put on the OE filter, that gets put in my hand. And sleep like a baby. :laughing:

And as for a fram, I would NOT use FREE filters from them. Just my .02

I've read that Fram is the most counterfeited brand.

The problem is with spin-on filters. All kinds of defects can be hidden inside a can. Air filters and cartridge-type oil filters from Fram are probably OK because what you see is what you get.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes, on a Harley, I rebuilt the engine & owner wanted to do his own 2nd oil & filter change @ 500 miles, he bought a Fram cause it was cheap (Low cost). but the cardboard end caps inside turned to confetti thus blocking many oil passages. And the engine seized from lack of lubrication.

No more for me. But agree OEM is overpriced.

My dad has been using FRAM filters for about 12 years, he's never had a problem YET

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Weird thing is that filter is on Amazon and Ebay for that lawntractor with that same N2 filter. Right beside it they have the usual Kohler number filter. That engine has always taken the usual KH filters and I have never seen one with the N2. But it is there on the internet. I wonder if it is for the Chinese engines that a portion of the MTD tractor line has had. Owners manuals are often wrong and not changed for many years.

We've used the N2 filter since we 1st changed the oil in it.