Engine Buyer Beware......(Oil filter)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From what I have seen, so it could be totally wrong, N2 was the trade name for a range of aftermarket performance parts for Quads and ATV's.
They began branching out , franchise the name and have been making a fortune as a middle man between Chinese manufacturers & the USA wholesalers.
ANother bull dust method for USA factories to claim they are using USA parts in their USA products.
Never seen any N2 stuff on new equipment down here but I don't see much new equipment.

And again if you want to put this to bed we need the model number , the one that starts with 13 on the tag under the seat because none of the filters you listed are supposed to fit a Kohler engine and ALL of the material I have found, All of the parts lists on All of the parts suppliers list the oil filters I mentioned, or the longer & finer one fitted to the Command ( commercial engines ) and the Long Life filter ( finer pleats of thicker paper ) and the larger capacity oil filter. All of these are variations of the KH-12-050-01-S which is the only one I can find listed anywhere for that mower.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, on a Harley, I rebuilt the engine & owner wanted to do his own 2nd oil & filter change @ 500 miles, he bought a Fram cause it was cheap (Low cost). but the cardboard end caps inside turned to confetti thus blocking many oil passages. And the engine seized from lack of lubrication.

QUOTE]

There is something missing here? Did you contact the Fram company on this? If all that Fram sold was defective filters I would think the law suites would put them out of business. Engines are not cheep to replace, especially on some cars or trucks.

My Cub Cadet parts manual calls for a KH12-050-08 in which crosses over to the KH12-050-01S or KH12-050-01.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Kohler # = KH-12-050-01-S
Wix 51056 / 51056MP / 51335
Fram PH10960 / PH8172
Carquest 85056 / 85335 ( looks familiar cause Carquest are made by Wix. )

N2 8553 is a Chinese made filter distributed through the N2 network where did you get that number from ?
N2 8553 is not a Kohler part number , where did you get it from ?
The owners manual which is a free download from Cub Cadet lists KH-12-050-01-S as the number for the filter on page 30 in the photo list of consumer service parts.

There is a reason why parts suppliers are always asking for the number off the mower tag & the serial number from the engine

Well, the box it came in was a Kohler box, said " Kohler OEM"

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, on a Harley, I rebuilt the engine & owner wanted to do his own 2nd oil & filter change @ 500 miles, he bought a Fram cause it was cheap (Low cost). but the cardboard end caps inside turned to confetti thus blocking many oil passages. And the engine seized from lack of lubrication.

There is something missing here? Did you contact the Fram company on this? If all that Fram sold was defective filters I would think the law suites would put them out of business. Engines are not cheep to replace, especially on some cars or trucks.

My Cub Cadet parts manual calls for a KH12-050-08 in which crosses over to the KH12-050-01S or KH12-050-01.

No I didn't, I directed the bike owner to contact Fram since he chose that filter. I never liked that Fram uses cardboard in filters, so I just don't use them. (personal choice).

I did rebuilt his engine again, but on his dime. He doesn't use Fram filters anymore either. And he claimed Fram was not very helpful about the issue.
Agreed, I guess I should have got involved in this as well. But I'm just a small 1 person operation.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
All of the filter part numbers he listed have the 3/4-16 thread on them so they should screw on. Now with that being said, I had a Kohler engine with a Fram filter that came this year that I had to use the filter wrench to unscrew the filter all the way because it wouldn't spin. It was like it had an interference fit thread. Had to work the new Kohler filter back and forth a few times to get in to screw on because the threads on the oil filter nipple appeared to be damaged from the other filter.

I have never had an issue with the N2 brand parts, at least the atv side and I have been a N2 dealer for about 15 years. haven't done much with the N2 lawnmower parts since they appear to be overpriced compared to other aftermarket brands.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
All of the filter part numbers he listed have the 3/4-16 thread on them so they should screw on. Now with that being said, I had a Kohler engine with a Fram filter that came this year that I had to use the filter wrench to unscrew the filter all the way because it wouldn't spin. It was like it had an interference fit thread. Had to work the new Kohler filter back and forth a few times to get in to screw on because the threads on the oil filter nipple appeared to be damaged from the other filter.

I have never had an issue with the N2 brand parts, at least the atv side and I have been a N2 dealer for about 15 years. haven't done much with the N2 lawnmower parts since they appear to be overpriced compared to other aftermarket brands.

Thank you for bringing up the mention of threads, I have bought oil filters in the past which would NOT go on the nipple, close inspection revealed the filters threads were "boogered-up" in production, sometimes I got the wrong number filter in the box ( someone playin games in the store..?? ) and then, we all know the commonly used threads , SAE, METRIC, and last, but not least, ( LOL ) CROSS-THREAD !!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay, either i messed up somewhere or what, i typed in that N2 part number on the computer, and what came up was the KH12 cub cadet part #,. :confused2:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never had a known problem with Fram filtration , even the basic can, but HAVE had a problem with Fram threads Two times I have taken filters back to wal mart normally fitting the 24 Intek because there was a problem with "thread pickup" when beginning to screw on the filter-they would not. I looked but saw no "buggering" of the threads so assumed worn tooling or improper diameter thread machining. There is a youtube shootout on 4-5 "better" class oil filters of which one is the Fram, carrying the basic pn with a prefix...sorry don't remember. Anyway, the 4-5 cans were opened and that Fram finished well in that contest. But you will pay more. I have noticed lots of criticism here over the years of Fram. I have seen Israel source on some Fram. Not unusual as mfgrs seek cheapest labor. And the consumer may be the "quality" check (think cheap ignition modules). BTW there are at least 2 thread pitches I have encountered on auto spin-ons.

DrivenRiden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm researching the different oil filters for my Troy Z, & Horse. Most Cub stuff does cross reference with Troy, & visa vera. As far as the Kohler oil filters, Kohler sells three different sizes of oil filters: (1) Small 2.25" (28 050 01-S) (2) Medium 2.75" (12 050 01-S) and (3) Large 3.5" (52 050 02-S). The only difference between these three oil filters is the length, and thus the filtering capability. The smaller filters are made for applications where there is not adequate clearance for the larger filters. Using the largest filter that will fit not only improves filtering, but adds to the oil capacity of the engine, a good thing. Also Kohler filters only filter at 27-32 microns. A lot of people use Fram filters, I personally don't, I prefer Wix filters, but even those are pricey. I'm looking at CARQUEST filters that Wix actually makes, they claim the CARQUEST filters are rated at 20 microns, & at $3-$4 at your local auto store. Other than the size, the 3/4"-16 threads are going to be needed to fit your machines, so you may want to double check that before buying it. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know which filter I decide on & why.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The length of the filter and thus the area of filter paper exposed to the oil varies the FLOW RATE of the oil through the filter, that is all.
The larger the area the faster the overall flow rate of the filter.
In most cases the area is way way over engineered.

AS for threads,
Filters come in both metric & AF.
There are more metric filters made so they are cheaper ( except in the USA ) .
There is almost no difference between the 3/4" x 16 and 20 mm x 1.5 ( 16.5 tpi )
It is very common to find them mixed up on old motorcycles with aftermarket oil filters fitted.
The Metric filter will be a loose fit on an AF housing but if tightened enough will actually work quite fine but the reverse will damage the threads on the alloy housing.