Kawasaki 17hp will only run on choke

js2318

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need some help with my JD LX277AWS - 17hp twin v Kawasaki. I bought unit after it sat for a year or two, with the intent of getting it back in running condition for my lake property. I can start it when choked, and it will stay running while partially or fully choked. As soon as you let off, it dies in a couple of seconds. With tells me it isn't getting enough fuel. Have done all the usual checks - loosened gas cap to make sure it was not a plugged vent, change fuel filter, hoses, cleaned carb, etc.

disconnected the output of the fuel pump, and was only getting a drizzle of fuel. In fuel filter, your can barley see any change it level or flow. So suspected fuel pump, and replaced. No change. ran temp line from new fuel pump to jug of gas, so it wouldn't have to suck fuel very far and with minimal effort. No change. Pulled the pulse line going to head, and there is very little suction or pull. So I'm guessing this is where the problem lays.

So not sure where to go from here. Everything I have read, says bad compression, seals, gaskets, etc. But.. there are no visible oil leaks, and engine runs like a top if I squirt fuel into the carb with spray bottle, and engine doesn't smoke.

Suggestions? thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Vacuum leak, plugged carburetor jet, couple of things to check

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
let someone take a look at the carburetor for you, or take it apart and clean it well if you know what to do.

js2318

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have already taken apart and cleaned the carb. I believe my issue, is that I'm not getting enough fuel from the pump to the carb. Which I think is due to not enough air pulsing from the crank case.

The hose from the fuel pump to the head is only about 2 inches, and I didn't see any visible cracks or holes in it. What would cause this low pressure/suction?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I like to confirm things by either swapping or bypassing.
So for starters hook up some sort of alternative fuel tank and hold it as high as you can above the engine.
If it starts & runs fine that confirms your diagnosys of insufficient fuel.
If that works run the temporary tank via the fuel pump.
make sure you have the pump hooked up properly, the impulse line is the one in the top , the inlet is in the side nearest the impulse & the output is on the opposite side..

If it runs fine from the temporary tank when the tank is positioned lower than the fuel pump then the pump and impulse line is fine and you have a blockage in the fuel tank.
If it will run with the temporary tank above the fuel pump and won't run below the pump then your thought about the impulse line have been validated.

If your impulse line comes out of the rocker cover then prime suspect is the rocker cover seal followed by the breather valve.

Take off the dip stick and run the engine for a few seconds.
Compare the air flow from it to that of he impulse line.
if the dip stick airflow is stronger than impulse line then look at a new rocker cover gasket.

Let us know what you find.

js2318

Forum Newbie
Threads
starting second guessing myself and pulled the carb again this weekend, and really took my time to clean and blow everything out.

The carb is a Mikuni, and there is a "needle" at the back of the carb, between the throttle butterfly and the intake - some website referred to this a pilot fuel, pilot air, needle, so not sure what exactly to call it... When I took apart the first time, I counted how many turns it took to remove from the body. Used the same number of turns to install when I put in back in. So fairly confident it was in the same position. When I looked it it the second time, I checked to see how far out it was from being fully seated. It would appear that it was only turned out about 1 full turn.

From what I could find, it should have been 1.5 to 2 full turns out from the fully seated position. So that is what I did. Reinstalled, and it fired right up, and idled smoothly. So don't know if I missed something the first time, or if I just needed that adjustment. But it is running now. Off to the next issue.