Tiger Cat 52”, which engine?

BobbyV43

Threads
I’m pretty sure I’m going to get a Tiger Cat II at some point before the spring. I have 2 acres that is pretty flat with some landscaping and more to come. Initially I wanted the 61” deck but I think the 52 might give me a nicer cut and be more maneuverable. I’m just not sure which engine to get. What is the consensus on the engine options for this model?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
52" is plenty wide for two acres.

What are the engine options?

BobbyV43

Threads
The engine options for the 52” deck are:

22hp Kawasaki 691FX
25hp Kohler EFI fuel injected air-cooled

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure if this helps. I only have 143 hours on the Kawi 691v engine on my 52 inch Bob-Cat FastCat Pro that I bought this spring, but so far it has been flawless and powers my mower well even while running the vacuum bagger. I have also been pleased with the Kawi engines on my Exmark walk behind and Z turn (not sure what model numbers but they're 17 and 23 HP V twins), although at 1900 hours the one on my Z is a bit tired.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
My vote goes for the Kawasaki.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I used to mow 3 acres with a 46in. cut 21HP Briggs powered MTD Lawn Tractor, several hours and I was done, a 52 in. should be more than adequate, oh yeah, engine choice, see attach. (click to enlarge)

51x-+nzMe2L._SY355_.jpg

92fdb8f0a07c91e4cf5009768abe1957.jpg

hrdp-1206-the-early-hemi-guide-of-death-000.jpg

pro-stock-engines-whats-the-secret-to-those-big-power-numbers3.jpg

Sorry, I believe in "Bigger is Better" ... ( LOL ) I get this way sometimes ya know !! ...:laughing:..:laughing:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is nothing I have ever operated that will out cut the Scag Tiger Cat with the 52" deck and the Kawasaki engine.

We run 3 of them commercially. I have one that has in the 1700 hour range that abused is not a strong enough word for what it has been through. It was purchased new in July 2014. The second was purchased new in April 2015 and has in the 1000 hours range. Hour meter died and I am not sure since it ran a while before we replaced it. The third was purchased April 2016 and has over 700 hours on it.

We have never had an engine problem with any of the three.

I know of two different people who run Tiger Cats like we do that have the Kohler engines that have had problems with theirs. One had a catastrophic failure.

If the Kawasaki in a Tiger Cat will live for me it will live for you for the rest of your life.

Some days we cut over 25 acres. In the heat of the Summer we were going over over 90 yards every two weeks. 95% of it is Pensacola Bahia. Many times you could rake behind us and bale it.

With Sharp blades there is nothing I have ever witnessed cut grass that will out cut the Tiger Cat with the 52" deck and the Kawasaki engine. If there was and it was sold locally to me I would be running it.

On three different occasions we have run Turf Tigers with 61" decks. They will obviously run faster and obviously are 9" wider BUT They will not out cut the 52" Tiger Cat.

You can't run any of them wide open ground speed wise and factoring the slowing down to make them cut the Tiger Cat with the 52" shines.

Most any mower will cut grass but the Tiger Cat will cut tall stemmed grass in one pass that the rest will just run over and leave stringers.

We have cut grass in places and people would stop while we were running and walk out and look at the ground and kick the trimmings over and look at the slick cut and shake their heads and walk away in disbelief.

They are incredibly nimble and I have seen them cut slopes that they would literally break loose and slide down sideways.

BobbyV43

Threads
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like the Kawasaki is the way to go. Is there a noticeable difference in power between the two engines? Someone recommended the Cheetah to me but it just seems like overkill for my needs. I’d never mow that fast and I don’t think I need that much speed. My only question about the Tiger Cat is the size. Will I be comfortable on it vs a bigger machine? I’m 6’1”, 220lb. Plus the Tiger Cat comes with a cup holder which doesn’t seem like a big deal but I will definitely use it.

This mower will be usd 2 times s week at most so it won’t take a beating. However, I could see myself sometimes mowing 3 times a week on occasion.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run a Tiger Cat many times all day every day.

I am 60 years old. 6' tall and weight about 250. You will be fine running one no more than you are talking about. For 2 acres you are only looking at about 1 hour or less. Sometimes we cut 4 acres in under and hour with 2 mowers.