Poulan Pro 25CC Leaf Blower Model BVM200FE

mowergeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
If a 2-cycle engine is getting spark and you spray a little starting fluid in the carburetor should it try to start?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes is should try to start but I do not recommend using starting fluid on such a small engine. Try squirting a little mixed gas in there instead.

mowergeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the the info. BlazNT. I tried this method a couple of times with no luck. I also sprayed a little on top of the piston and nothing happened.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you changed the spark plug. Sometimes they spark without compression and do not with compression.

primerbulb120

Threads
I have had issues with clogged mufflers on these units. Remove the muffler and try again without it. :thumbsup:

mowergeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the compression on it last night and it wasn't great between 40-45 lbs.

Even tho it has low compression should it try to start if it is getting spark and I squirted a little gas in the carburetor?

Also thank you folks for your time and ideas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly if that is an accurate figure, then no the engine will not start with that compression unless you can spin it around 1000 rpm.

Fuel and air combust only within specific ratios and these ratios change with pressure.
Second unless you have some real fancy gear that allows the tester to take up the exact same amount of space in the head, the compression figures will be wrong.
This is why we test these engines with a pressure pump and vacuum pump

For most 2 stroke engines you need around 70psi for them to fire .
Pull the muffler off and have a good look inside the engine.
Chances are you will find scoring on the ring or bore.
It takes SFA to drop the compression down to a non functioning level.

Money wise it is not worth the effort of fixing.
Cheap single ring 2 strokes are throw away items.
Most have chrome plated bores and the cheaper they are the thinner the plating.
SO unless this blower has a great sentimental valve, it is now scrap metal.