Snow cab

Bullseye

Threads
I need a little advice/information. I have a five year old John Deere X300 and a two month old X394. I have an eight month old snow thrower on the X300. Eventually I am going to get the snow thrower hydraulic lift kit for the X394, but while the x300 is still healthy and strong I am going to use it. I am going to purchase a X300 Series Weather Enclosure (vinyl cab). There are two different cab kits; one for the older X300 series and one for the newer X300 series. Since the first to be used will be a X300 I have to make sure that I can use the cab on it. I think I can convert one cover to fit both machines, but... Does anyone know which one of the two kits is the larger one? I can take up some slack but I do not think stretching is possible. The two kits are:

LP36740 John Deere X300 Series Weather Enclosure Model Year 2015 and Older, and

LP55438 John Deere X300 Series Weather Enclosure Model Year 2016 and Newer

Thanks, I hope someone knows.

~Lee

TJR345

Threads
Can't say which one is larger but if your going to use the x394 down the road that is the one I would get the cab for.

Bullseye

Threads
I need a little advice/information. I have a five year old John Deere X300 and a two month old X394. I have an eight month old snow thrower on the X300. Eventually I am going to get the snow thrower hydraulic lift kit for the X394, but while the x300 is still healthy and strong I am going to use it. I am going to purchase a X300 Series Weather Enclosure (vinyl cab). There are two different cab kits; one for the older X300 series and one for the newer X300 series. Since the first to be used will be a X300 I have to make sure that I can use the cab on it. I think I can convert one cover to fit both machines, but... Does anyone know which one of the two kits is the larger one? I can take up some slack but I do not think stretching is possible. The two kits are:

LP36740 John Deere X300 Series Weather Enclosure Model Year 2015 and Older, and

LP55438 John Deere X300 Series Weather Enclosure Model Year 2016 and Newer

Thanks, I hope someone knows.

~Lee

Decided to make an enclosure for the X300 using 3/4" PVC, aluminum and steel angle, and clear vinyl fabric. I am not gluing the fittings, but using small setscrews instead so I can modify and adapt it to the X394 at a later date. Everything is going well and I'll post a few photos of it when I am through. I hope the wicked winter winds (five bonus points for alliteration!) don't blow it apart.

~Lee (Bullseye)

TJR345

Threads
Decided to make an enclosure for the X300 using 3/4" PVC, aluminum and steel angle, and clear vinyl fabric. I am not gluing the fittings, but using small setscrews instead so I can modify and adapt it to the X394 at a later date. Everything is going well and I'll post a few photos of it when I am through. I hope the wicked winter winds (five bonus points for alliteration!) don't blow it apart.

~Lee (Bullseye)

That's the only problem with any soft sided cab is the wind.It can really shake it around.

Bullseye

Threads
That's the only problem with any soft sided cab is the wind.It can really shake it around.

TRUTH!

I finished the PVC frame and gave it a shaking - it was not at all stable.

I added aluminum angle-iron across the back and on the corners - better, but still not good.

Today I am going to run 3/4" thinwall conduit from just behind the front axle to the frame above the windshield area. That should prevent racking and a lot of movement.

I plan on covering the windshield, top and rear with one piece of clear vinyl fastened to the frame with screws and rubber-faced steel washers. I'll leave the front long and run it onto the hood and clamp it with a horseshoe shape piece of 3/4" PVC I have already made.

I am still under my self-imposed $100 budget. About $30 for the vinyl and maybe $50 for the conduit and PVC fittings. The miscellaneous aluminum, steel and fasteners I already had and I am glad to finally use. I literally have hundreds of jars and cans of screws, washers and nuts and bolts. My time is free as I'm retired and this is keeping my mind active and my hands busy.

~Lee

Bullseye

Threads
Well, I am almost done with the enclosure build. The diagonal thinwall struts firmed up things. I mounted two LED driving lamps pointing forward and today I'll put a back-facing LED unit on. My neighbor stopped by when I was drilling through the hood to mount the lights. He thought I was crazy to ruin the hood. I grew up on a farm and tried to explain to him that I needed the extra light more than an unaltered hood. We both walked away shaking our heads... I parked it outside for a couple of days and let the November winds beat on it - it held up fine. Hopefully it'll hold up with the added snow and winds coming off Lake Erie.

~Lee

Bullseye

Threads
I am still putting some finishing touches on it. After I mounted and wired two forward facing lights and a rear light I had another light left over; I bought two pairs. I installed it on our old Troybilt walk behind snowthrower. Afterwards I decided to re-install the Classic Accessories Universal Snowcab on the Troybilt. The fiberglass rods were disintegrating from old age. I gerryrigged replacements out of four foot fiberglass driveway markers.

I parked the X300 with its cab on the driveway on a windy day last week to see how it will behave. The clear vinyl blew around too much as I expected it would so placed some spring loaded clamps on the lower edge and put it back outside. The results can be seen on the Home Shopping Network - I had created the world's biggest meat tenderizer with me being Mr. T-Bone. I removed all the weights. Next, I am going to try some PVC pipe on the bottom. I still have time; the weather has been gracious so far. Pictures will be coming soon...

~Lee

Bullseye

Threads
Here are the pictures of my super-economy grade X300 cab. I used both heavy duty and medium duty clear vinyl fastened to the PCV and thinwall with screws and neoprene backed washers. Three LED lights in aluminum cans provide illumination. Brake rotors from a 3/4 ton Chevy serve as wheel weights. A solid 4X8X16 concrete block is on the rear - I may have to place a second one there to offset the weight of the snowblower. Total costs were under $150.00 and it was fun building.

DSCN1250.JPGDSCN1252.JPGDSCN1253.JPGDSCN1254.JPGDSCN1255.JPG