Mounting a 412 snowblower on a 618 tractor

jerryshenk

Threads
I'm new to running a Grasshopper. I got a 618 mower with a SL52 mower deck this summer. I love it...works great. On Friday, I picked up a 412 snowblower to go with it - hoping for lots of snow! ;)

After spending a few hours figuring things out, I've figured out how to tilt my desk to clean it and sharpen the blades. I've also figure out how to remove it in preparation for mounting the snowblower. Based on various research, I know that I have a "quick connect" setup for the mower deck. I think that's pretty common. Well, the snowblower doesn't have that same setup. It also doesn't have the "lift kit assembly" for raising and lowering the blower itself. If I measure the distance between the "quick connect receivers" (probably not the right term - arrow points to then in the picture;) on the tractor, it's about 12". If I measure the distance between the "arms" on the snowblower, there is about 15" between them.

2017-10-29 15.57.42-1.jpg2017-10-29 16.02.28.jpg

Can anybody tell me what I need to connect the snowblower? I kindof think I need a "quick attach kit" and a "lift kit" but, I'm not sure. I'm a little concerned about the differences in widths. I'd also like to get them used if possible...new looks like over $300 for those two kits.

jerryshenk

Threads
Some additional information:
This snowblower is actually, an M412 from about 1997 (I think - SN# 340870). I got a manual from Grasshopper and the connection to the tractor is a "Snow Thrower Attachment" (PN# 643616) and not the current "Quick-Connect Snowthrower Mount Assembly" (PN# 603794). Does anybody know if it's possible to install the new part number on the old "Auger Housing"?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the parts catalog, I have looked at it looks as though it will work. I would call grasshopper direct to make sure. They are very helpful and you will get all the info you need.

jerryshenk

Threads
I talked to grasshopper support as you suggested...wow, VERY helpful. I've recently stopped calling support very often 'cuz they are so often absolutely terrible. This guy was VERY helpful.

Anyway, the old mount that's on the snowblower is a "pin type". To get that to work on my "quick connect" mount that's on my tractor, I just have to remove the bolt that goes through the brackets that hold the white thing (sorry...not sure what it's really called) in place and then the pin mounts can be attached on the outside of those brackets. That looks right, makes sense and it won't cost anything except for buying 2 bolts at Lowes.

Then, the missing lift lever is a bit of an issue...I need to buy one and some associated hardware but, it doesn't sound too bad.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Compared to the cost of a new unit to fit I would guess you will be a lot better off.

BWH

Threads
Yes that blower is the same design as the one I used on my 1992 612 grasshopper. After I updated to a 2001 721 I checked into buying the new quick attach bracket for the blower from my dealer which at that time was around $100. I would add that the grasshopper blower is a snow eating machine, add that to the maneuverability of the grasshopper you will not be disappointed. Don't forger the tire chains they're a definite must have.

jerryshenk

Threads
Definitely cheaper than a new one. If I knew then what I know now, I don't think I'd have bought this one though. It did come with wheels with "tractor tread" tires though so, that's a plus for the snow. It also has chains but, the dealer suggested that I not use them because that could put too much strain on the transmission. The tractor tread should be better than the standard tires.

The quick-attach bracket with tax would be just under $250 now. I think I'll just pull the bolt out for now.

BWH

Threads
Definitely cheaper than a new one. If I knew then what I know now, I don't think I'd have bought this one though. It did come with wheels with "tractor tread" tires though so, that's a plus for the snow. It also has chains but, the dealer suggested that I not use them because that could put too much strain on the transmission. The tractor tread should be better than the standard tires.

The quick-attach bracket with tax would be just under $250 now. I think I'll just pull the bolt out for now.

jerryshenk,

That makes sense with the quick attach cost we normally only change over in the late fall and then back in the spring. But I have to disagree with the use of tire chains, Grasshopper dealers not only sold the chains but they had Grasshopper factory wheel spacers as to spread out the wheels to accommodate chains without rubbing the frame. I ran my 1992 612 until 2005 with the chains and wheel spacers every winter. Actually after a few years I ran the wheel spacers winter and summer I liked the wider stance for mowing. To make a long story short I ran the 612 for 13 years with chains without any transmission problems and as a matter of fact the guy that bought it still uses it today. Transmission problems in Gemini hydro's usually stem from not changing the fluid. Let me tell you that having chains or not regardless of the tread design is day and night difference, you really need to run the tire chains as when you lower the blower to the ground you suddenly have very little weight on your drive wheels.

jerryshenk

Threads
Good to know, thanks. I found a lift kit too. A local dealer is putting an electric lift on for a guy and I think I'll be able to buy the manual lift that's being removed.

I think I'll get the wheel spacer kit too - I'll just avoid "slamming it around" to save wear and tear on the transmission.

ErnieN85

Threads
If the manual lift doesn't work out let me know. Im converting to power lift also and will have a manual you could have