Kawasaki FR651V, which cylinder is # 1

Lawn Addict
Threads
In standing behind my mower I believe it is the Left cylinder, & rotation I know is clock-wise, looking down on top of engine.

Just want to confirm this.

Dealer adjusted my valves when it was under warranty, but am getting weeping/slight leak from valve covers, only 5 hours since they did the adjust, so I plan to just fix myself.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nobody ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know B&S and Kohler do the left cylinder is #1.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the parts books which are downloadable the cylinder on the starter motor side is A and the had that goes on A is no # 1

Lawn Addict
Threads
That confirms my thoughts as well. Thank You both. Starter is on Left side from behind. :thumbsup:

Dealer set the valves (probably in a rush), helped quiet the clatter. But still has 1 annoying tick, I plan to double check the valves when I re-seal the weeping valve covers this winter.

Bert- I have a downloaded version for my engine, nowhere did I find specify the starter & # 1 head on same side, or I would have known this answer. But now I do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That confirms my thoughts as well. Thank You both. Starter is on Left side from behind. :thumbsup:

Dealer set the valves (probably in a rush), helped quiet the clatter. But still has 1 annoying tick, I plan to double check the valves when I re-seal the weeping valve covers this winter.

Bert- I have a downloaded version for my engine, nowhere did I find specify the starter & # 1 head on same side, or I would have known this answer. But now I do.

If you look at the parts diagram for the cylinder you see one side of the crank has a ring cast into it to mount the starter motor.
The cylinder on that side is described as A and the head which is at the top of the drawing is listed as No # 1 head.
Usually it will be cast into the head if the left & right are different castings.
Left & right is somewhat arbatory on a vertical engine which can be mounted cylinders front back or sideways
Thus you need to pick something that is asymetrical like a drain bolt or starter motor.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very true, just finished re-studying the exploded engine view. Forgot about some being mounted in different rotations. I should be more clear in my question inquiries in the future. Thank You Sir.

Indeed #1 head is on starter side aka L side.

# 2 head has the oil filter & drain behind that side aka R..

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Kawasaki FR651V, cylinder is # 1 is Left aka starter side

These only fit one way, different for each head. # 1

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kawasaki Cyl #1.jpg
    Kawasaki Cyl #1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 27