John Deere 116 charging issue

717pucky

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 116 with a Briggs 16 how opposed twin the wire off the stator is a single black wire with appears to be white connector it also has a diode module not a rectifier. I was trying to run tests on these items but I couldn't get voltage ac or DC out of stator wire so I figured it's fried.not sure how to test diode module has four pin and looks kinda like a relay encased in black plastic.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.
Hopefully, someone over there can offer advice :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a lawnmower with perminent magnet alternators.

A simple diode chops off the unwanted part of the out put and gives you plused DC going from 0 V through to 14 V then back to 0 Volts.

A bridge rectifier is nothing more than a set of 4 diodes.
In theory it converts all of the AC input to DC output

A regulator rectifier usually contains a zenner type of diode that dumps the over voltage to ground in an effective short circuit.
There are also resisitors and diode that are voltage sensitive that can be used to keep te output between 2 values like say 10 V to 14 V but you only find them on mowers with eletronics like EFI engines.

B & S colour code their alternators but we need to see the black wire & white plug as ther could be 3 or 4 alternators that match that description but the shape of the plug makes a difference