Help with GX75

Rosey

Threads
Just got this 1995 John Deere GX75 rear engine rider. Challenging to use on my lawn (not flat). It cuts and bags well but I need to stay in 1st or 2nd gear in order to move. Slow! I like the size of this 30" deck. The belts are new, I'm told. It also goes well in reverse (thank goodness I can back it up the ramp into my shed). Any ideas as to why I am getting stuck? I have had to put my foot out to push. I do not have a manual. I don't know if it's a transmission problem, a weight distribution problem, or what. Should the deck wheels be set high? Also, is the choke setting on the throttle, the turtle, rabbit or the one in the middle?

Any owners out there with this problem? I would really like this mower if it moved better.

zman111666

Threads
Well, to start, the choke on any rider without a separate choke control would be all the way up past the rabbit. In other words, full throttle to start, then pull back about 1/4 of the travel to run. often they will "click" into place at the top run position (before choke).

The manual, on the other hand, is kinda hard to find, at least for free. You can get it from John Deere, $10 for an instant download of the service/repair manual.
https://www.bobcatmanualonline.com/...x75-srx95-riding-mowers-service-repair-manual

Rosey

Threads
So glad I joined the forum. Already, some helpful information...Thank You ver much for the reply and info. The link to a ten dollar manual is great. Just knowing what type oil to use is great. Now, does any one have any suggestions for improved forward momentum? Staying in first or second gear in order to move is painstaking with my rather large yard.

zman111666

Threads
If you try to go faster, is the belt slipping? Or does it just bog down, like it lacks power?

Rosey

Threads
Dear Zman,

I've only used it one time so far a couple days ago. Raining since. I think the engine revved up when I gave it more throttle but the tractor would get stuck and I would have To jockey into reverse then into a low forward speed to move. I haven't been able to use speed 4 or 5. I did get 3rd gear until I hit an uneven patch in the lawn then the old back and forth. I notice the left front tire tread is low but not like the wheels are spinning. Are wheel weights an option? Or do you think I have a transmission or belt issue? My front yard has a big slope I would not even attempt with this machine.

I really aporeciate your interest and willingness to help. I was using a 21" cub cadet self propelled walk behind...it was faster, but I couldn't sit on it.

zman111666

Threads
To me it really does sound like a belt or transmission issue. I'm not sure what kind of transmission your unit has, but I imagine a hydrostatic type would be more vulnerable to slipping issues. Look to see if it has a filter on the transmission. If it does, might want to change that and check the fluid level.
I'm pretty sure, however that it has a more typical mechanical, grease packed tranny. Which leaves us to the belt being the likely culprit, with a slight chance of it being something weird like a sheared axle key or demonic possession.
I wish i could get Bert to chime in on this one... :biggrin:

Rosey

Threads
Hi Zmann,

It is a manual clutch/brake transmission if that helps. And thank you.

Roses

mjb8fj

Threads
Just got this 1995 John Deere GX75 rear engine rider. Challenging to use on my lawn (not flat). It cuts and bags well but I need to stay in 1st or 2nd gear in order to move. Slow! I like the size of this 30" deck. The belts are new, I'm told. It also goes well in reverse (thank goodness I can back it up the ramp into my shed). Any ideas as to why I am getting stuck? I have had to put my foot out to push. I do not have a manual. I don't know if it's a transmission problem, a weight distribution problem, or what. Should the deck wheels be set high? Also, is the choke setting on the throttle, the turtle, rabbit or the one in the middle?

Any owners out there with this problem? I would really like this mower if it moved better.

these were great mowers, but the issue with the transmission is pretty common. But really it isnt the transmission, if they have been sitting for awhile, the CVT, or constant variable transmission would stick. If your belts are ok, there are two under there, well that is what you have to look at. Most dealerships wouldnt even touch these, or even charged extra to do the belts on them, cause you almost have to drop the transmission to change belts, and on a few models you had to drop the transmission to change the brake pads on them. The variator- if thats what your problem you have with it, its hard to get you any help without being right there-sorry, this piece use to be over $400 for it. I dont know how much they are now, or how much they charge to change them out. If you were around me i would give you one extra that I picked up, just cause I dont need it. But this piece is what actually give the transmission its speed, its one belt spins fast and squeezes the pulley to give the other belt speed or to slow it down. Check you belts first though, maybe one is worn out or broken, fell off.... 2011-05-26_185549_mp9337_________un01jan94.gifOMM133763_F729.jpg
#16 in one picture and G in the other.
Hope this helps
BTW, I have been able to free up the CVT by working it back and forth with no belts before, it can be done and is a good winter project if you need one

Rosey

Threads
Dear Mjb,

Wow, wish you were closer! I was told by the seller that both belts were changed, in fact his buddy cracked a fender when lifting it to change the belt. I guess the seller was having the same issue, couldn't fix it and sold it (to me). Gee, I hate to spend more on the variator part than I did for the actual mower, and then trying to find someone able and willing to fix it? But it sure does sound like it could be the problem. I really like the size and go cart style of this mower (if it would go). The body is in great condition with the exception of that recently cracked fender.

Thanks so much. Sounds as though you have experience with this model.

Rosey

zman111666

Threads
Thanks for bailing me out, mjb! I was in over my head! I'm here to learn as much as I am here to help.:thumbsup: