Help with GX75

mjb8fj

Threads
Dear Mjb,

Wow, wish you were closer! I was told by the seller that both belts were changed, in fact his buddy cracked a fender when lifting it to change the belt. I guess the seller was having the same issue, couldn't fix it and sold it (to me). Gee, I hate to spend more on the variator part than I did for the actual mower, and then trying to find someone able and willing to fix it? But it sure does sound like it could be the problem. I really like the size and go cart style of this mower (if it would go). The body is in great condition with the exception of that recently cracked fender.

Thanks so much. Sounds as though you have experience with this model.

Rosey

well if i was close to you I would take a look for sure, I like these riders. Im not saying that is what the issue is, it could be yes. Also, since someone changed the belts, take a look to see if there are belt #'s on them. Those two belts are different, and not interchangeable- maybe that is it? I hate to see you have to buy a part for it, it sucks and inside info for you- the dealerships hate them so they will want you to trade it in, or to replace the transmission cause they dont want to mess with it. Getting someone to work on it- ehh oh ehhh, I cant help you there. I have seen and know places that do a service on them, and change the blade belt but wont mess with the transmission belts at all. Not sure how handy you are if you would try it yourself or anything either. The variator can be "broken loose" if it is stuck. By that, you have to remove the belts, spray it with PB blaster, and tap it up and down until its sliding on its own. Then you get to polish it up so it will slide smooth on its own when it needs it. Its not hard, its just a pain if your not into it. Being in the northwest and all the rain here, I have seen about 10 rust up. I so far have gotten those 10 broken loose. I wasnt successful when I was working for JD in north carolina and in georgia. I had some that I looked at that just were frozen. Maybe I learned a few things, I da know. I hope that its just a simple case of the belt worn out or broken or even the wrong belt for you. Again, if i was close I would gladly help you out or steer you in the right direction- I like those rear engine riders and own two currently.

Threads
I agree with Mjb on his diagnosis....

There are 2 more factors that might be the problem tho....... John Deeres have a belt or belts that are special.. In saying that they have a different bevel/angle on them. If he bought the belt/belts from a JD dealership then you are good on that part.

The other thing would be a worn pulley or pulley's that are not gripping the belt/belts right. They get worn in the groove and the belt is not sitting right. This was discussed in an older thread on here and Bert backed me up on that issue.....

When a pulley gets worn it shrinks down and there is not enough tension on the belt itself.

Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!

Let us know ..........

Rosey

Threads
Thank you Mjb and Boudreaux. I wish that I could disassemble this thing and try all your great suggestions. There was a time not too long ago, that I would have. I wonder if I can print this thread for a mechanic? I got a link to purchase an operators manual through this thread. Are there also service and parts manuals?

I really appreciate the value you all bring.

okiepc

Threads
I have a GX75, a great machine, also the repair manual.

I have changed the belts and it is not that hard of a deal. If I can help let me know.

zman111666

Threads
The link I gave you is actually the technical manual. It may very well have the diagrams and parts lists.

Rosey

Threads
Dear ok and Zmann,

Again, thank you. The seller told me he only changed the drive belt. How many belts are there total including the deck belt?

Rosey

Threads
According to mjb it seemed as though there were 2 transmission drive belts. But if only 2 belts total, that would mean, only one drive and one deck blade belt, correct? Mjb are you out there? I saw the 2 diagrams you sent. Are they just 2 different pictures of the same belt? Sorry for my confusion. I have a small engine repair guy coming over at noon tomorrow, eastern standard time. Hopefully he gets it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Vari drives need 2 drive belts so 3 belts for the machine.
Two transmission + one Deck

Rosey

Threads
Greetings Australia,

That was my thinking assuming that the GX75 is a vari drive. The John Deere dealer told the seller 2 belts. Maybe that is the problem.. The third belt is missing??