Hard starting Kohler

Blackstar

Threads
Hello. I've owned this Cub Cadet 1320 Hydro for 7 or 8 years. It's an early 70's model, from what I can find out about it. It has always had this quirk that when warmed up and I try to restart the engine barely moves and seems to come up on compression and just stops dead. New battery last year and it still does this. The other day I was moving firewood with the Cub pulling my 10 yd wagon and when I tried to restart it acted up again. Usually after 3 or 4 tries it will turn over normally and start and run normal. But this time I kept trying until I took out the solenoid. Now have to start it with a screwdriver across the points until I get a chance to pick up a new solenoid.

I was told that my valves may need to be adjusted because the exhaust isn't opening enough or quick enough to release the compression. Also was told that the compression release could be worn. Didn't know it had a compression release. Any ideas on which direction to take this?

Thank you for any help...

Glenn

Last edited:

Blackstar

Threads
After a little investigating, I find that part of the model number from the engine tag is missing. Serial number is B141G2, Spec number is 1211. Model number looked to me to be EV 55 at first but there's no such number on their site.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What you are seeing is classic decompression failure.
Remove the rocker cover and adjust the valve lash as per the manual you will find in the link below.
Depending upon our model it may decompress on either the inlet or exhaust.
To check it you first adjust the valve lash then poke a skewer down the plug hole then watch the rockers.
Just before top dead centre either the inlet or exhaust will open a tiny amount this is the decompression.
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohler-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The the spec number he posted he has the CV125s which uses hydraulic lifters, so no adjustment and the Command doesn't use decompression so that wouldn't be a cause either. So maybe lifter bleeding off and effecting the valve open timing slightly cause too much compression, or possible something cause excessive compression. I am curious what the actually compression is.

Blackstar

Threads
Remove the rocker cover and adjust the valve lash as per the manual you will find in the link below.
To check it you first adjust the valve lash then poke a skewer down the plug hole then watch the rockers.
Just before top dead centre either the inlet or exhaust will open a tiny amount this is the decompression.

Thanks for the input Bert...

Blackstar

Threads
The the spec number he posted he has the CV125s which uses hydraulic lifters, so no adjustment and the Command doesn't use decompression so that wouldn't be a cause either. So maybe lifter bleeding off and effecting the valve open timing slightly cause too much compression, or possible something cause excessive compression. I am curious what the actually compression is.

But wouldn't a bad lifter finally quit working? This has been ongoing for 7 -8 years...

Blackstar

Threads

Thanks for the input Bert...

And thank you for the link to the service manual. :)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
But wouldn't a bad lifter finally quit working? This has been ongoing for 7 -8 years...

it could be bleeding off, but actually may not be bad in like stay collapsed causing a constant tapping sound. Do you get a tap tap tap at startup.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before you do anything make sure it isn't in the electrical system. cables, grounds, connections, bad starter bushings, etc. A bad carbon build up on top of the piston maybe?