Hard starting Kohler

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could be the bump on the ACR is getting worn, too?!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Auto Compression Release on the camshaft. lets the compression out making it easier to start until the engine has started. There is a little bump on the release that rides on exhaust lobe of the cam, which lets the compression out whenever its turning over. Usually they fall apart before the bump wears out, but you never know. More than likely its not tho.'
:2cents:

Blackstar

Threads
Auto Compression Release on the camshaft. lets the compression out making it easier to start until the engine has started. There is a little bump on the release that rides on exhaust lobe of the cam, which lets the compression out whenever its turning over. Usually they fall apart before the bump wears out, but you never know. More than likely its not tho.'
:2cents:

Gotcha... Thanks

Blackstar

Threads
I'm back. The old Cub Cadet has been working pretty good. The hard starting problems didn't occur nearly as much. Until recently.
The reason I'm here today is because I'm still confused on whether or not I can adjust my valves. According to the service manual
there is either adjustable or non adjustable valve lash.

Blackstar

Threads
I'm hoping someone's reading these. Pulled the plug and the motor spins freely. Starter seems ok. I took the valve cover off and looks like I have non-adjustable valves. Rocker bridge type.

So, I don't even know if I have automatic compression release.

SidecarFlip

Threads
What you are seeing is classic decompression failure.
Remove the rocker cover and adjust the valve lash as per the manual you will find in the link below.
Depending upon our model it may decompress on either the inlet or exhaust.
To check it you first adjust the valve lash then poke a skewer down the plug hole then watch the rockers.
Just before top dead centre either the inlet or exhaust will open a tiny amount this is the decompression.
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohler-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Every Kohler ever produced has an internal compression release on the cam shaft that is dependent on valve las setting to operate correctly. Even my 20 year old K241 single cylinder slugger on me gas welder has the CR. Nice thing about it is when I start it, I can hear the compression release close up. It changes running pitch and looses the telltale clicking the decompression lobe makes.

You need to adjust the valves. Kohler engine manuals are available online for download.

Blackstar

Threads
Every Kohler ever produced has an internal compression release on the cam shaft that is dependent on valve las setting to operate correctly. Even my 20 year old K241 single cylinder slugger on me gas welder has the CR. Nice thing about it is when I start it, I can hear the compression release close up. It changes running pitch and looses the telltale clicking the decompression lobe makes.

You need to adjust the valves. Kohler engine manuals are available online for download.

I read through the section in the manual and it states there are three different arrangements of the rockers. Mine is the rocker bridge type. Both rockers pivot on a rocker pin. I can't see anything to adjust.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Sounds the same as as the K241 I have. They way you adjust the clearance on my engine is grind the ends of the valve stems where they contact the lifters. They have to be ground square the the stem and it entails removing the head (s) and renewing the head bolts and head gasket(s). The way you obtain the clearance is use a feeler gauge to check the clearance you now have, remove the head(s) and pull the valves and remove enough material to get the overall length of the vale within the tolerance you require. It's not a bad job but will require you to have a valve spring puller (C) tool, torque wrench and some time.

The only way to check the the ACR is operating correctly is to pull the cam which is in the belly of the engine but I think you have excessive clearance in the valve train.