CV740. This doesn't seem right???

Rugb

Threads
Putting a CV740 together today, doing an overhaul. Got to where I'm putting the flywheel and coils on. Turn it over to where a cylinder is at or before TDC where you would expect the 'spark' to happen. Ok, but what I find is at that point the magnet on the flywheel is way! past the coil, like 5 inches in flywheel travel!! I am used to the magnet to be just passing under the coil when the spark happens.. if it's the same way on this Kohler, the spark would occur when the piston is about 5/8 of an inch before TDC?? Just don't seem right? Took the flywheel back off and the flywheel and key can only go on one way? Valve timing is right and this wouldn't affect the spark timing anyway. Been thinking this over...crankshaft turns, pushing the pistons up, TDC occurs, but the magnet is way past the coil. ( this is the no advance type of ignition , one wire for grounding the coil to kill). Any answers? Or do you have one similar apart that you could tell me if this is the way it supposed to be? It is all the same parts as it ran with before, except connecting rods and rings. Thanks for your help!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spark will occur around 23 degrees before TDC. And the larger diameter of the flywheel will make it appear that the crankshaft has turned further than what it has actually turned. If the flywheel key and flywheel notch are lined up there isn't anything else to consider.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you had the engine apart did you line up the timing marks when you put it back together?