General instructions to attach the snow plow to the truck

AnnaM

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / General instructions to attach the snow plow to the truck
Winter is reaching… I have a plan to install a snow plow on my pickup truck that I can remove the snow with ease without the help of any snow removal service providers. I surfed google and found out these instructions. Here it goes.

-Determine the curb weight of the vehicle. The total weight of the vehicle should not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating and gross vehicle axle weight rating. The weight of the passenger and the weight of the load carried in the bed are also included in the total weight.

-Check out the plow packages. Choose a plow packages that are compatible with your truck. Generally, the plow packages contain a scraper, snow plow hardware, wiring system.

-Assemble the snow plow hardware and scraper as the manufacturer’s instruction. Jack the truck up to work underneath the vehicle. Attach the mounting brackets of the snow plow and mount the hardware to the frame of the truck. Connect the snow plow’s wiring system to the battery and winch. Then attach the plow to the hardware.

I’m planning to follow these instructions, before proceeding with this, I would like to get your suggestions and ideas on this.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to install Western, Meyers, Boss and Snow Dogg. If you have never done anything like this, have a friend there to help. Depending on the manufacturer and the make and model of your truck, some modifications will be needed to install the plow.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi. I think we need to back up a bit and gather some facts. What truck are you planning to plow with? What is the surface you'll be plowing, i.e. paved or not? How much and what type of snow do you get? How long is your driveway? Selecting a proper plow for your vehicle and the conditions you'll be plowing need to be your primary considerations before you get into installing it. Also what dealers do you have available in your area and what kind of service can you expect?

Personally I would have the dealer install the plow. My first plow truck came with a plow already installed but when it came time to buy one for my current truck I had it installed. I'm currently running a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with a first generation Boss 8' 2" foot Power V XT. Great plow but probably more than most need for personal use.

P.S. - Most find that a quality snowblower or that adding a blade to their tractor or quad are a better choice for personal snow removal.