Can I get a gasket for my 17.5 HP Briggs and Stratton rocker cover?

mstar

Threads
  • / Can I get a gasket for my 17.5 HP Briggs and Stratton rocker cover?
I am learning how to adjust the valve space on a briggs and stratton 31C707 type 3346 G6 code 110510ZD

I bought it used and thought somone had messed with it becuase it had a gray RTV gasket instead of the traditional gasket I see on all videos.

But I did see a web site saying to use RTV after 07. So I am wondering if a gasket is available and if so why not use that so that adjustments can be made.

It was a time waster to have to get that old RTV stuff off. In case I make a mistake adjusting the valves I dont want to have to scrape off the RTV so soon after putting it on or if I want to adjust in a couple years.

I see Jacks Small engines mention the factory gasket is only before 07 but others are not mentioning it like Sears Parts direct. They list 272475S

On Amazon , in one review someone stated they did not have any issues with part 272475S and their 17.5 came with the RTV.

I would like to know if I must use the RTV glupe or can use the part mentioned.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs went to using the grey RTV several years ago. You should be able to use the gasket. The worse thing that happens will be it leaks. But if you use the RTV and don't get all the oil residue off of the mounting surfaces the RTV will also leak.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Head is the same and the same gaskets fit.
Rocker cover had a ridge in it to make a tighter seal on the older ones.
It is all down to cost.
Cheaper to run a bead of silicone than to buy a cut gasket .
Cheapness comes to the cheapness of the buying public who will not pay the extra for quality.
Then they bitch about being charged $ 60 to adjust the valve lash because the dealer spent $ 40 worth of time removing the silicone.
So rip it off and fit a gasket.
Put some gasket goo on the cover side and wheel bearing grease on the engine side then just keep reusing the old one.
Just remember you are not trying to hold down the USS Enterprise when you tighten the bolts.
Finger tight then 1/4 turn is usually tight enough.
Nothing out of my workshop has a drop of silicon on it cause I am the bloke who will be repairing it next time

mstar

Threads
Thanks for the input
I installed the gasket and tested. No leaks. Time will tell if they leak over time with that cover but so far so good.