Super Bronco PTO won't engage

Hiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi; I'm a newbie to the forum and I hope someone a lot smarter than I can give me some help on this; the PTO on my Troy Bilt 13AQA2KA011 riding mower will not engage when the PTO switch is pulled out. Also, when turning the key to the center position and pressing the triangular yellow button for reverse mow, the red light does not come on. The engine starts with brake depressed and the hydraulics work forward and back just fine.

I've thrown a lot of parts at it hoping one of them was the culprit but still no help. Keyswitch unit with "logic controller" (reverse mow module), PTO switch, PTO relay, Brake switch. I've put 12V to the PTO clutch and it pops in and out, so it seems OK.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the PTO clutch gets 12V through the Blue/white wire from the PTO switch but needs a ground (white wire) in order to operate when the switch is engaged....or at least that's how I'm reading the diagram. This white wire ground connection comes from the PTO relay (little black box) and that's where I lose the thread. I've followed instructions to test the relay and both new and old units seem to operate as designed. I can supply 12V to the clutch by the blue/white wire from the PTO switch and connect the white wire directly to ground, and the clutch will then engage when the PTO switch is pulled. Doing this, the reverse mow cutout feature does not operate (which is a good thing in my book), but I'd still like to know what the problem is. It seems to be the "logic controller-reverse mow module", but I've replaced it and still does not work.

I feel that it is something really simple that I've overlooked. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
it appears that you have either a 2016 or 2017 model if so let the dealer take care of the problem under warranty. I think they changed it on later models, but when this system first came out. the system would not operate if the headlights didn't work.

Hiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes; 2016 model. This is insane! I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to reconnect the ground wire to the relay, put it back together in the original configuration, make sure the lights are working and give it a go. All the diagnostic work I did was with the hood off and lights disconnected, but when back together I did notice that one of the wires going to to the right side headlight was broken at the connector but didn't think too much about it. If this was the reason for the PTO not working, there will be special place in hell for the guy who designed the system. Thanks so much for your reply; this is a great forum and I'm glad to have found it. Needless to say, calling the "tech support" phone number at Troy Bilt and speaking to a "technician" after a long wait was a complete waste of time. "you seem to have an electrical problem". Duh. Thanks again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
After talking to a technician and saying you have an electrical problem is better advice than I get sometimes when I have to call tech support.

Threads
I forget the name of the motor cycles made in Italy years ago. If you didn't have spark at the plug you better check your tail light bulb or head light. Any open in a bulb would cause a failure to the plug ~!~!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I forget the name of the motor cycles made in Italy years ago. If you didn't have spark at the plug you better check your tail light bulb or head light. Any open in a bulb would cause a failure to the plug ~!~!

I had a Harley Davidson 90cc mini motorcycle (had 10 inch wheels) when I was a kid that wouldn't fire if the tail light was burned out. Loved the little cycle. Was just like the big bikes with the manual clutch, and 4 speed transmission. Thing had a top speed of 80 mph.