Broken mm1200

tzryorkee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pick one up from the curb for free. And just happen I moved in a house this week where I need to own a lawnmower.

Switch is broken. No charger and no key. And very likely battery is dead. Looking at the construction, I believe it's nothing more than connecting two 12v battery to the motor.

Without wanting invest too much money on a free machine, I think I can just grab my kids 24v ride-on battery, hot- wire it directly to the motor with a switch I create from my spare parts bin, charge the battery with the ride-on charger, (or use one of the tickle charger I have laying around) then use it as is. That said I believe the safety switch is there for a reason.

Am I crazy? Am I waiting for this thing to chop me up in pieces?

Fragger

Threads
yes on both accounts , safety switches were installed to protect the operator from himself , there are many many many folks who have backed over their kids with a riding mower , thus backup safety switch , many others get off their mowers and put their big feet under the deck and loose their toes then they try to sue the manufacturer of the equip , so if you intentionally and willfully bypass a switch and you get hurt it is on you. if you are not the brightest color in the box( as many of US are not ) i would recommend spend a few bucks on a "FREE " LAWN MOWER AND MAKE IT SAFE SO YOU WON'T GET HURT.
I pick one up from the curb for free. And just happen I moved in a house this week where I need to own a lawnmower.

Switch is broken. No charger and no key. And very likely battery is dead. Looking at the construction, I believe it's nothing more than connecting two 12v battery to the motor.

Without wanting invest too much money on a free machine, I think I can just grab my kids 24v ride-on battery, hot- wire it directly to the motor with a switch I create from my spare parts bin, charge the battery with the ride-on charger, (or use one of the tickle charger I have laying around) then use it as is. That said I believe the safety switch is there for a reason.

Am I crazy? Am I waiting for this thing to chop me up in pieces?

Mark Widmer

Threads

I just came across this thread now, a year after the original post.

Looks like a lot of issues going on to overcome. I can only offer possible help on the broken switch. I had posted how to fix a common problem with the CMM1200 switch some years back:

http://markselectricmower.blogspot.com/2010/05/common-problem-with-cmm1200-broken.html

Maybe too late for you by now, but just thought I'd mention it.

Mark

Scandoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just came across this thread now, a year after the original post.

Looks like a lot of issues going on to overcome. I can only offer possible help on the broken switch. I had posted how to fix a common problem with the CMM1200 switch some years back:

markselectricmower. blogspot. com/2010/05/common-problem-with-cmm1200-broken.html

Maybe too late for you by now, but just thought I'd mention it.

Mark

Very professional work, Mark!

I had the same problem with the 2 CMM1200's that I use, but it happens before I found this/other forums discussing the problem:
So, I took apart the dead-man switch body, cursed the engineer who had designed that part, then cursed the OTHER engineer who designed the mold, and THEN cursed their manager(s)!

Then, like you, I drilled out a hole for a pin, but then I just shaved down a bamboo chopstick to make my own pin...2nd time went a lot quicker!