Toro model 70040, brigs and Stratton.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say it tells me you need to get someone who understands electricity or take it to a shop. Things you are telling us and what you are doing aren't making a lot of sense and I'm surprised you have not blown up your meter or ruined any parts to this point. On top of that your replies are very hard to figure out.

guins66

Threads
I would say it tells me you need to get someone who understands electricity or take it to a shop. Things you are telling us and what you are doing aren't making a lot of sense and I'm surprised you have not blown up your meter or ruined any parts to this point. On top of that your replies are very hard to figure out.

Guess we all have our strong suited areas. Yours must be a smart ***.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Guess I hit a vein, just being truthful. I've been around small engine repair for 50+ years and I've seen this problem before. You don't know the names of electrical parts or small engine electrical systems. That being the case you could easily ruin components and hurt yourself which would cost you more than needed. Bert has tried to be of help, but I don't see you following his instructions. There are many members who are here trying to help, but I didn't want you to spend money on parts you don't need. I'll get out of the way and hopefully Bert can lead you through this. Good Luck Bert, white wine will help you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think I replied to the wrong thread. New at this forum thing. I was able to get the engine to rotate by touching the negative on the starter solenoid and the other lead the engine. Does that tell you anything? Sorry, but electrical is not my strong area.

No it means nothing to me.
What is meaningful is you doing what your were asked to do in the order they were presented and telling us EXACTLY what happened, eg nothing, engine rotated etc etc etc.
The seat switch has nothing, nadda , nill, nein to do with starting the engine.
It is not in the starting circuit
Having voltage at a switch is no help if it stops at the switch
The safety circuit is all GROUND wires which interconnect in various ways.
IF you really want help stop trolling around the sheep on EWE TUBE and do what you have been asked.
All of the people who know how to fix mowers will be able to follow what I have asked you to do and understand your problem.
OTOH if you would rather watch footage from shaved monkeys who almost know how to work a video camera and nothing about mowers keep trolling around.
About 0.05 % of what you will see is worth looking at and the parts man appreciates you spending lots & lots of money for stuff you don't need..
Ball is in your court.
There is no quick fix.
It is a slow and methodical process of elimination

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Changed out the magneto and still nothing. Just a clicking noise from the starter relay. Any ideas how to isolate the problem would be appreciated.
sometimes I come across these threads and I see some good advice given and then a few posts later a grateful OP proudly expresses his success with the repair. The biggest problem I see with your request for help is your thinking that all will be repaired by magic through some small effort of just reading the posts given to you, I don't believe you even read or even attempted any of the advice given to you by bertsmobile1, might as well sell it on craigslist or junk it, game over.

guins66

Threads
sometimes I come across these threads and I see some good advice given and then a few posts later a grateful OP proudly expresses his success with the repair. The biggest problem I see with your request for help is your thinking that all will be repaired by magic through some small effort of just reading the posts given to you, I don't believe you even read or even attempted any of the advice given to you by bertsmobile1, might as well sell it on craigslist or junk it, game over.

To all of you lifelong mower guys get a Fu&*&*n life. Someone asks for help does the best they can do and all I read is a bunch of condescending asses. If you are tired of giving advice then stop. Not all of us are married to an 8 hp motor. Have a nice day and please kick me off this site.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
HMMmmmmm .... strangest form of GRATITUDE I've seen all week !! ..:laughing:..:laughing: