Briggs and Stratton 17.5 valve adjustment help

indyyy

Forum Newbie
Threads
It took some turning of the motor by hand and watching the intake valve closely, but I did finally see it make the little 'bump' Ilengine said to look for. Should this mean that the camshaft and release mechanism is good ? I had the battery tested again just to be sure and it is good. Might the starter or solenoid starting to go bad cause this same problem, or is it still more likely to be the camshaft or valves ?

Tinkerer200

Threads
I can send you detailed instructions on adjusting the valves and a Service Manual if you contact me at address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

mstar

Threads
I have a 17.5 HP 31C707 type 3346 G6 engine Code 110510ZD and have a question about adjusting the valves. I have a manual that came with it so it shows me the settings Intake clearance .003-.005" / exhaust clearance .005-.007"
First question is it better to set to the smallest tolerance or in the middle of the range?

I have read three ways to set the valves and not sure which to use.
One was to set TDC feeling in the spark plug hole to get TDC
Second was to set the valves when the TDC is returning 1/4"
Third and in many videos, is to rotate by eye and set each one when one is compressed and the other is loose, rotate and then set the other when it is loose.

Thoughts on how much it matters which is used for this engine?

Thanks

Tinkerer200

Threads
I just told you above how to get the right way.

Walt Conner

mstar

Threads
W.,
I sent you an email as requested.

indyyy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I must have reset the valves 30 times to no avail and as a last resort decided to try to jump start the mower with my car battery. Sure enough the mower started right up, so my problem has been the battery all along... I had the battery tested twice at O'reilly auto and both time was told it was good. And I charged it quite a few times while adjusting the valves as well and had it tested after charging.

Just thought I would post what worked for me in case it helps someone else, because the valves are fairly easy to adjust. If you adjust them a few times to no avail, make sure the mower uses a 12 volt battery ( from what I understand about all modern mowers do ). Then see if it will turn over normally with a battery that you know for a fact is good.

P.S. - I'm not expert at repairing mowers but do most repairs on my cars. I've had a good dozen or more car batteries tested at auto parts stores - this is the first one I've had test goot that isn't good lol.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tinkerer200

Threads
P.S. - I'm not expert at repairing mowers but do most repairs on my cars. I've had a good dozen or more car batteries tested at auto parts stores - this is the first one I've had test goot that isn't good lol.

Thanks for the help guys.[/QUOTE]

This may be an indication that you problem is with the battery cable connections. Often the ground to frame is overlooked.

Walt Conner

Threads
Tinker please tell us your instructions on how to set according to his engine model....... I am curious