Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21

jeff

Threads
  • / Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21
I always use an old business card to set the gap. Works fine. If the flywheel nut was not tight enough, you may have sheared the key again.

2011cb

Threads
replaced magneto with new one and gapped with card included....still wont start....checked flywheel and key is good....starting fluid doesnt help....only getting a puff or two of white smoke....regapped spark plug to .020 like manual said....

2011cb

Threads
ok I might be brain damaged...I looked over the carb and noticed moving the throttle actually doesnt change anythig on the carb...

Last edited:

2011cb

Threads
Hey hey....Its running BUT
ok so here is part of the deal.....this is a no adjust carb.....and the blade has a blade adapter peice on it....took out the air rachet and cranked that on!
now it is starting but runing like a bat out of hell and the choke spring and armiture dont seem to be doing anything....
almost there though
I did replace the fuel line with some older fuel line that higher a slightly higher diameter....could that effect anything....

ok just mowed for a few minutes ....IT is a 7hp and maybe it is running
as should but it does have a throttle control which isnt doing anything and I have a new cable on it.....
as you can see this has been a mission for me :)
But when I let off the handle and kill it ...it wont restart for say 10 minutes or until it cools down...

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ive had these magnetos die when they get hot....in fact ive replaced 3 of them this year...when it dies it has no spark?

2011cb

Threads
well it is strange I can run it for 1 or 2 min and stop..then it wont start but I also noticed the blade is coming loose every single time...going to go get a new bolt and lock washer...the one on there is
worn to a curve almost....Probably needs the real blade too instead of the adapter peice...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
and use a couple drops of locktite :smile:

walter mullen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 917-378770
I am helping a friend repair this mower. They said it wouldnt start. When you pull start it puffs white/grey smoke and eventually throws a hard kick back but wont start.
I rebuilt the carb with a factory Craftsman rebuild kit...new gas.....but it still wont start and
throws a hard kick back...if it were a car I would say the timing was off?
By kicking I should clarify it feels like it is trying to start backwards or something as it pulls rope back hard.

i would say by the sounds of things is timuing or air filter plugged fly key may be damaged top likely

walter mullen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey hey....Its running BUT
ok so here is part of the deal.....this is a no adjust carb.....and the blade has a blade adapter peice on it....took out the air rachet and cranked that on!
now it is starting but runing like a bat out of hell and the choke spring and armiture dont seem to be doing anything....
almost there though
I did replace the fuel line with some older fuel line that higher a slightly higher diameter....could that effect anything....

ok just mowed for a few minutes ....IT is a 7hp and maybe it is running
as should but it does have a throttle control which isnt doing anything and I have a new cable on it.....
as you can see this has been a mission for me :)
But when I let off the handle and kill it ...it wont restart for say 10 minutes or until it cools down...

running to fast check rpms 32 hundred