Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower Wont Start 7.0 HP Power Propelled 21
use the sears diagram i gave you earlier....it should definitely be rock solid to the shaft

2011cb

Threads
Thanks
I wont be able to check things until Sunday but will definitely tighten and check everything over and get back to everyone

Jose s

Forum Newbie
Threads
When the mower pulls the cord from your hand, the carburator has a small explosion and there is a small amount of smoke coming out from the muffler is can be caused by three things:

1. The blade is loose.

2. The flywheel key is broken. To see if it is broken you need to remove the top cover, gas tank and recoil and the nut that holds the flywheel. From here you will be able to see the flywheel and the crankshift is lined up. If its moved a little bit the key is broken. Replace it. If everything is lined up here. Put everthing back together. You can buy a key at any sears hardware for about $2.

3. Next 7.0 hp is overhead valve. So you would need to remove the front valve cover, where the lifters are found. Check for a loose lifter.

Hope this helps solve your problem.

2011cb

Threads
So I tightened the blade..there is a space/mounting piece and the bolt just wasnt tight enough but that didnt solve anything...though the lower key and shaft looked fine....
as I tried to start it..it is definitely internal. pulls fine a couple times until firing then kicks back...
this time it tried to start every time but kicked/pulled back every time and died....
it has to be a flywheel issue or valve issue...cant work on it until Wed...
I will tear the top side down and see whats up then....

2011cb

Threads
pulled valve cover and springs, rockers, and rods all perform ok...
pulled recoil for starter rope and housing off...didnt see a problem everything moved feely...do I need to take the big bolt off and actually separate the pulling gear from the fly wheel...

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes...you may be able to see the key after you take the bolt out

2011cb

Threads
will do when I get home...
whats the best way to lock that flywheel while I am trying to loosen the bolt?

2011cb

Threads
Pulled flywheel cover and key is broke...flywheel has moved by 1 in. on shaft... which is throwing timing off I assume and causing the kick back...have to get puller now and new key....I will let you know how things proceed.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
GREAT TO HEAR !...YOU FOUND IT!....REMEMBER TO GET YOUR VALVES BACK TOGETHER AND ADJUSTED PROPERLY!....USE A NEW VALVE COVER GASKET [ I ALSO USE A THIN FILM OF HIGH TEMP -RED- SILICONE ]......KEEP US UPDATED! :thumbsup:

2011cb

Threads
I dont have a Sears store close by and looking for the key to order through Sears online I only see the entire engine as a part number? Do have a link to ordering the key?