best brand

bret

Threads
What is your favorite mower brand? I am looking at a craftsman mower, they seem to be very versatile. I don't want something huge or expensive but don't want a piece of crap either.

rekees

Threads
I have 2 Craftsman riding mowers. They are medium price and quality. The best thing about them is that it's easy to get parts from Sears.

bret

Threads
Ride on for sure. I have heard great things about the craftsman, my Gran dad used to have one but he has since moved on and so has his mower.

indypower

Threads
It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Ariens & Toro are good, reliable, long lasting mowers, but they also cost you big bucks. As far as more affordable ones, Husqvarna and some Craftsman (917.xxxxxx) Poulan are made by AYP (which was just bought by Husqvarna) are very good quality.

VRman

Threads
Don't forget to check out brands like JD or Kubota as well.

Dr.Bob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a John Deere L111 with the V-twin engine for 5 years. Other than sharpening the blades, changing the oil and filters (fuel, too), and lubing the front axles, etc. I have had no problems.
I believe the current model that replaces it is the L-115, but that is only a single cylinder now and is about $1700 at Home Depot.
If you want a JD, go for the V-twin. I think Home Depot has them for about $1900. Wait a little longer and you will probablly see the prices drop.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As far as the best brand goes I guess it comes down to what ever you like. I personal like the Cub Cadet line, they seem to be a pretty good mower with a pretty decent price. I own three and have never had a problem with any of them. I think if you take care of most mowers mechanically, change oil, blades and such they'll last you long time. If you are seriously thinking of buying a mower I would buy it from a dealer and not Home Depot or a big box store, that way you'll have Dealer support or backing and that can mean a lot when it comes to repairs and warranty work.

Last edited: