Growing Grass Inside?

motaro38

Threads
Hey guys, have you ever grown grass, namely fescue or bluegrass, indoors? I tried this one winter with a Scotts mix, I think perennial ryegrass/fescue/kbg, using just natural window light, and although it started strong, it died off after about a month. I was wondering if it would be possible to, with the right setup, successfully grow a perennial turfgrass indoors. I was thinking of trying it again this winter, just for fun. I would probably get an actual growing lamp of some kind, get a square or rectangle container with either drainage holes or rocks at the bottom, well-drained soil above that, and quality turf seed. It would just be cool to be able to 'mow my lawn' indoors during the winter, then maybe transfer it to the outdoors come spring. Has anyone ever done this or anything like this, successfully? I figure if people can grow other plants indoors with growing lights, it can be done with turf grass too.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys, have you ever grown grass, namely fescue or bluegrass, indoors? I tried this one winter with a Scotts mix, I think perennial ryegrass/fescue/kbg, using just natural window light, and although it started strong, it died off after about a month. I was wondering if it would be possible to, with the right setup, successfully grow a perennial turfgrass indoors. I was thinking of trying it again this winter, just for fun. I would probably get an actual growing lamp of some kind, get a square or rectangle container with either drainage holes or rocks at the bottom, well-drained soil above that, and quality turf seed. It would just be cool to be able to 'mow my lawn' indoors during the winter, then maybe transfer it to the outdoors come spring. Has anyone ever done this or anything like this, successfully? I figure if people can grow other plants indoors with growing lights, it can be done with turf grass too.

INDOORS ?? then outdoors ..?? Hmmmm, .. me thinks you're smokin what you're growin, that's the only grass that grows well indoors (with a set-up of course)...:laughing:..:laughing:

motaro38

Threads
INDOORS ?? then outdoors ..?? Hmmmm, .. me thinks you're smokin what you're growin, that's the only grass that grows well indoors (with a set-up of course)...:laughing:..:laughing:

Haha no I don't do that, just wanted to have a "nice lawn" inside this winter, to look at and trim, but could never make it work. Wasn't sure if anyone else had tried and succeeded at this, or knew of how to do it right.

AnnaM

Forum Newbie
Threads
You mean indoor landscaping...? Right? It is not new. You can do it with the help of any landscaping service providers.

motaro38

Threads
You mean indoor landscaping...? Right? It is not new. You can do it with the help of any landscaping service providers.

Ah no not indoor landscaping, just like growing a plant inside your house in the winter, but grass. This isn't something landscaping services provide, more of a novelty thing, which is why I was curious if anyone on here has ever tried it. I think growing lights would be needed to keep the grass alive, as just window light - which keeps regular houseplants alive - was not enough to keep my kentucky bluegrass alive for more than a couple weeks last winter when I tried it in a small container. I doubt it was nutrient-deficient, as the soil was a healthy compost mix, but it's possible.

panabiker

Threads
If there is enough light, the grass may survive, and most literature says you need at least 3 hours of sun light a day. I have an small area (~100sq ft.) around the house that never receives direct sun light but does have good sky light. Fine fescue grass grows nicely without needing much water. It is still outdoor though. I imagine that the grass can do well in sun-room kind of environment even if there is not always direct sun light. I don't think the grass can survive in a typical living room lighting unless you provide strong artificial light at least several hours a day.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
We used to grow a little grass indoors for our cat to graze on. It helps them vomit on and ruin your best furnishings in retaliation for not paying enough attention to them.

Growing grass indoors just to have some seems a little silly to me, but to each his/her own.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back when I had a cat I would buy a indoor grass growing kit from the pet store for the cat to eat. Other then the cat liking to eat fresh green grass I never knew what benefits it did for the cat? It might have something to do with what type of grass you are trying to grow indoors.