HF 2417 HTE - RUNNING PROBLEMS

fontes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, Fellow Sufferers! I am new to the forum and want some advice, please. I am not at all technical but can show posts to the chap who sold me the mower and services it. He is also at his wits' end with this. My ride-on Honda is about three years old and has been good at tackling my 3 plus acres of grass - laid mostly to "lawn" (inverted commas to indicate that it's not pasture but nor is a it a bowling green). Over the past Summer it has developed a fault. From cold it starts easily on a little choke and cuts without difficulty unless I have to stop the engine, for example to move garden furniture. If I have been mowing for anything more than ten minutes and stop the engine, it just won't start again. It fires up again briefly by adding a little choke, but the moment the choke is pushed back in, the engine dies. I have tried adjusting the throttle lever when this happens, to see if I can catch a new rhythm and it occasionally picks up a little but then can't hold it. This is just the engine without load; it certainly won't take engaging the cutting gear. The usual pattern is that after two or three minutes of trying this, it finally stops altogether, wherever I happen to be on the grass (usually the furthest point from a cup of tea...) and dies, often with a high temporary whine coming from under the bonnet. No sign of smoke. No smell of burning. If I leave it for a good half-hour or 45 minutes, it will start up again and cut normally. Anything less than that sort of interval and it won't play. But then into the same pattern: runs normally until I have to stop the engine again and then it won't re-start. I have developed tactics for not stopping the engine but that misses the point. It has had a new carburettor and the service engineer has soaked the present one in their "bath" and tried all they can with blowing and pulling through the jets but to no avail. They are, frankly, flummoxed. To me as a layman, it is linked to overheating. I have read about stale fuel and have done all possible to make sure that that is not the problem here. As a necessity, as we have holiday cottages facing out on to the lawns, I have bought a second-hand replacement mower which mulches rather than collects. I now use the Honda for tackling the grass if it gets too long for the Allen National to cope (lots of that, this summer) and so it's an unsatisfactory but workable compromise. I would like to sell the Honda but won't if it has this fault. Any ideas to pass on to the service engineer would be very welcome, please. Best wishes Fontes

zman111666

Threads
I have seen a couple posts on here where strikingly similar problems led to the discovery of a failing coil.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get yourself an inline spark detector and fit it to your engine. When it is not starting check to see if you have spark.

Last edited:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section.

fontes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you,zman111666 and BlazNT. I will pass these thoughts on to our service engineer to see if they are new avenues for him to explore. Thank you, Catherine, for transferring this thread to the Honda pages. Best wishes to all Fontes