Honda HRX mower would not pull backwards temporary solution

Robshonda

Threads
  • / Honda HRX mower would not pull backwards temporary solution
My HRX217 mower would not pull backwards yesterday. I had done my semi annual maintenance (plug, filter, oil, blade sharpening) and blasted the bottom of the deck with my pressure washer.
A week later I could not roll the mower backwards...AT ALL. Stuck, frozen. Knowing its been nearly 4 hard years on it with no maintenance on the drive train, I decided to try to lube the bushings on the height adjusters in the rear thinking the shaft had gotten enough water in there to rust and stick. I sprayed from both sides with Liquid Wrench penetrating spray (good stuff) over a piece of cardboard because it drips. I came back a couple hours later and I could now pull the mower backwards! I mowed with it this morning with no problems. This is not a substitute for proper maintenance but a quick fix.

Thanks to Robert@Honda for sending me the procedure to take apart and grease the drive train to fix this problem properly.
I will be doing the full procedure over the winter to get it fully ready for spring time mowing.

Rob