Tecumseh on wood splitter

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got a old wood splitter that set in a field for about ten years. This has a 5.5 hp tecumseh. To get it running I installed new piston rings, ground valves, new crank seals, complete ignition with old style points, and rebuilt carburetor with a kit. Now about 99% of the time it will start with two pulls with the starter rope. But boy that 1% of the time it just won't start. It will fire a few times but just won't start. Now I let it set for a few days and it will start right up. What I was wondering do they make something I can do away with the points and condenser and also if that would fix it or not? Another thing I was thinking maybe SAE 30 oil is too heavy?

Lawnmowerman74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sae 30 is the oil the manufacturer prefers. They do make an ignition chip called a nova ignition system that will do away with points and condensor system. When the engine will not start check the fire at that time to make sure its not firing . You might also check your flywheel key. Hope this helps .

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
nova ignition system. I will have to Google this and see what I can find. When I do this much work on and engine for the cost of a flywheel key it gets a new one but something to check. As far as that goes it gets a new flywheel key any time I take a flywheel off any small engine. Another thing I don't mess with is and old spark plug. Unless the spark plug is new it gets a new one. That is just cheap insurance for the cost.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see these two systems, nova ignition system and pertonix I just don't see how they would work off a mag system, what small engine they fit or how they work. Has anybody installed this in place of points and condenser and know how it works or where to buy such a thing. We run this type of system on our pulling tractors but use a battery to fire it and a distributor and just don't see how it would work or fit on a 5.5 hp tecumseh.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I am also thinking about this points and con. thing. Back years ago in the 70's I can remember putting a 8 hp B&S short block into a John Deere rider. The old engine had points and condenser and the new short block came with a kit to make it pointless. Being so long age I just don't remember what I had to do to make it work.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
im looking to do it on my '77 sears with the plunger type points..all i can figure is fit it to the flywheel or pulley....but thats at full rotation...cams are 1/2 rotation..it might not work....but i love a challenge!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I am also thinking about this points and con. thing. Back years ago in the 70's I can remember putting a 8 hp B&S short block into a John Deere rider. The old engine had points and condenser and the new short block came with a kit to make it pointless. Being so long age I just don't remember what I had to do to make it work.

Briggs had a little plastic looking think that slid between the legs on the magneto. After that they came out with the magnetron ignition system. I instaled a nova type converter on a 1954 wright saw that had broken the point lobe and ripped the point control box loose from the engine block. Worked like a charm.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
they made electronic ignition replacements for onan called MAGNA ARC....but they run $250....but i can get a set of points and condenser for $30...maybe ill save myself the trouble.....i have too many projects anyway:confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs had a little plastic looking think that slid between the legs on the magneto. After that they came out with the magnetron ignition system. I instaled a nova type converter on a 1954 wright saw that had broken the point lobe and ripped the point control box loose from the engine block. Worked like a charm.

Now I see the word magnetron it seem that was what B&S called it. But I am going back a long ways.
This nova converter you installed would it work on any mag type small engine and where can I look into buying such a thing. Also so cost. I sure wouldn't pay 250 dollars for a engine part when I could by a new engine for not that much more. I already have more time and money in this engine then I want.