Head gasket diagnosis

hrdman2luv

Threads
This Brigg 407577, I'm wonder how to diagnose a bad head gasket, without a leak down tester. All I have is a compression tester. It runs pretty good, but with a little cough ever few seconds. Sometimes longer. When I pulled the dipstick, (after shutting it off) I noticed a little smoke come out.

The compression was about 165 to 170 on one side. The other side was about 100. It doesn't really smoke.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have read what Bert always says. Smoke out the oil filler = head gasket.

hrdman2luv

Threads
You have read what Bert always says. Smoke out the oil filler = head gasket.

Yes. That's why I'm posting this. But it's very little. Was hoping for more info and maybe something else to look for.

Threads
The side that has lower comp is the culprit. The gasket is just starting to fail.

Pull the head and change it. Clean well and put it on there. You answered your own question when you wrote this.

Those gaskets are notorious for going bad all the time. When you take it off you see a small bad spot on the block side of it where the skinny part of the block is ~!~!

hrdman2luv

Threads
The side that has lower comp is the culprit. The gasket is just starting to fail.

Pull the head and change it. Clean well and put it on there. You answered your own question when you wrote this.

Those gaskets are notorious for going bad all the time. When you take it off you see a small bad spot on the block side of it where the skinny part of the block is ~!~!

Thanks. I thought I knew the answer. But a 2nd opinion never hurts.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks. I thought I knew the answer. But a 2nd opinion never hurts.

I too have asked questions for what I already knew the answer to but darn it is hard not to with all this talent just a keyboard away.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I too have asked questions for what I already knew the answer to but darn it is hard not to with all this talent just a keyboard away.

You ain't lying. Especially about something like this. I could've gone ahead and took the head gasket off. But what if I'd did that, and it was fine. Then posted my problem and some of this talent said "did you check this?". Something simple that I didn't think about could've saved me two hours plus parts. That I would've had to eat.
Eating good parts doesn't make for a good meal.

I sure wished they'd add a thank you button to this forum. A lot of times they'd come in real handy.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well thats a fine howdy do. What next?

Threads
IF the gasket was good then you might have a valve that is not seating properly. Those gaskets look good when you pull the head off. The bad side is behind the gasket and it is a small area that can be overlooked.