B&S 12hp wont crank after tussle with coil of metal

pentos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks
Ive got a fairly elderly Toro Wheelhorse with a B&S 12hp motor.
Its worked jut fine until the other day, when I accidentally ran over a length of heavy spring that got coiled round the blades and brought it all to a stop.
I eventually untangled it all, but now it wont start. I get a click, and sometimes even a half a turn, but it wont catch and the wires from the battery get really hot.
Ive now pulled the spark plug and found the plug heavily oil-fouled, and in fact oil is now seeping out of the sparkplug port.
I have a bad feeling this might be terminal but grateful for any advice.
Cheers
P

Fragger

Threads
Are you getting fire at the plug; if not you may have sheared a key on the flywheel very sudden stops will do that. Are you sure you clear the baldes. I t should crank, wil lit turn over at all?? B&S don't die that easy.
You may have killed it though

Last edited:

pentos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep theres a spark.

OK, one more detail I left out - I tipped it on its side to get at the blade to untangle it. Its been suggested that this may have caused a hydraulic lock - anyone know how to clear one of those?

Threads
Yes take the plug out and spin her over for a lil bit it will shoot out the plug hole ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Firsta sheared key does not prevent

First it will produce a spark with a sheared key unless the unlikely case it still has points, just not produce it at the right time.

Second, turning it on its' side will cause the oil situation you are having, hydro lock.

Walt Conner

FirsFirst