Toro SR 20381 vs 20382

super_coo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my Toro Recycler 20098 with Tecumseh 195cc engine with one of these 2 models.

How do these 2 new engines compare, TXP 159cc OHV 7.25 ft-lb vs the Honda GCV 160cc 6.9 ft-lb.

Which would be quieter, more fuel efficient and more powerful?

I think I'm leaning towards the Honda but just have no clue.

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is one time I say "Go with your gut". You won't go wrong with either unit and you'll get a 50/50 breakdown which is better.

super_coo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey thanks for the reply, I read a lot of your posts and you seem to be the mower guru!

Which would you choose having probably worked on both units over the years?

I know I'm covered for 5 years regardless and the price difference is $60 cnd with the 20381 being the cheaper unit.

I feel like the Toro is the better quality engine but just doesn't say "Honda" on it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a guru, but I have worked at Toro dealers for thirty plus years. Both engines are good and everythig else is the same. If it was me I would save the money and go with 20381, but as I said before "Go with your gut". Which ever you get, make sure that you store the unit for the winter completely dry, draining fuel from tank, lines and carb bowl.

super_coo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah I just want this to be over I've been researching online and flip flopping for about a week now on what to buy.

I'm just too OCD to be able to make a decision that in the end like you say won't even make a difference probably haha

What's your thoughts on putting an oz of seafoam per tank to keep everything clean?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As long as you are using fresh fuel, you don't need any additives. If it makes you feel better twice a year is fine.

super_coo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey so just an update I ended up going with the 20381 serial 400 so it's a newer model with the black motor cover.

They filled it up with oil and gas for me at the dealership and started it up first pull and it runs great.

I just mowed my backyard and noticed a slight burning rubber smell maybe and I find the personal place slower than my old model and the reverse sometimes the wheels lock up.
I noticed the personal pace cable is really loose, where my older model is only slightly loose.

You think it's just that cable out of adjustment and maybe the belt is slipping a little?

Or maybe that's just new mower smell?

gnc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey so just an update I ended up going with the 20381 serial 400 so it's a newer model with the black motor cover.

They filled it up with oil and gas for me at the dealership and started it up first pull and it runs great.

I just mowed my backyard and noticed a slight burning rubber smell maybe and I find the personal place slower than my old model and the reverse sometimes the wheels lock up.
I noticed the personal pace cable is really loose, where my older model is only slightly loose.

You think it's just that cable out of adjustment and maybe the belt is slipping a little?

Or maybe that's just new mower smell?

Any updates on this? I'm looking at both models as well.

super_coo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any updates on this? I'm looking at both models as well.

Yeah sure I've been extremely happy with the 20381, compared to my previous Toro Recycler with a 190cc Tecumseh engine
this 159cc is WAYYY quieter and WAYYY more powerful. I used to dread mowing my backyard with the Tecumseh it grows fast/thick
and the Tecumseh would always struggle to mulch getting bogged down easily. The 159cc purrs like a kitten through anything
I've run it through so far. I switched out the original oil after an hour use and have been using Rotella T6 since.

A few quirks are pulling reverse sometimes the wheels still lock up. My yard has a lot of hills so that's probably a factor. I've added
some new bearing grease to the rear wheels and that seems to have helped and also you get a feel for how it works so it doesn't do
it very often anymore. Also I've always used Shell VPower and usually add 1oz of seafoam per tank or every second. I also added
fuel stabilizer in the fall before putting it away for the winter. When I went to start it for the first time this spring with new gas even
it took about 15 pulls to finally get it started and keep running. I honestly didn't think it was going to start then finally it did... and
has been fine since. It usually only starts on the second pull for me as well... no big deal.

gnc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good to know! Thanks for the update - I spoke to the local dealer who has been repairing these Toro's for decades and he said the Toro motors had been reliable since they'd been introduced. I'm going to save the $50 and go with the 20381.