Troybilt Pony - battery problems?

Rich Walker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model Num 13WN77KS011, purchased 2011 new.

Hi all,

I have a battery question and hopefully it's simple. On the Pony models, can you go above the CCA of the original battery (150CCA) with no problems?

Swapped the battery out (old battery was due, it's not suspected as a culprit or symptom). Put in a new battery with 300CCA. Fired up immediately, ran for about 30 seconds, died. At that point, nothing would come on. Lights, starter, etc.

Tried it again about an hour later, it ran but only with full choke and it was extremely erratic. Prior to the battery change, it ran fine.

Ideas? Is the battery too much for this mower?

Appreciate it!

Rich

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The battery won't cause you symptoms. It may of showed that there is a problem. Pull out the fuse, and see if it is corroded, or dirty. The extra power of the battery may of been enough to create a low continuity situation due to poor contact.

Rich Walker

Forum Newbie
Threads
The battery won't cause you symptoms. It may of showed that there is a problem. Pull out the fuse, and see if it is corroded, or dirty. The extra power of the battery may of been enough to create a low continuity situation due to poor contact.

Appreciate that! I'll give it a go tonight. I'll have to admit it is super dusty all over. I have to wash it at least twice a summer. But I'm giving it a tune up minus a valve adjustment tonight as well. But the 300CCA battery turned it over so fast it seemed the mower might have left the ground a few inches. Sort of. :laughing:

I'll have to find the fuse but it calls for a 20amp. I'll check it for corrosion and condition.

Appreciate the tip. Was concerned the system had blown something.

Rich

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The fuse will normally be in the area of the battery. If under the hood. look around the area under the battery, sometimes will be clipped to the supports that hold the steering shaft. If the battery is under the seat then look under there. May be able to get to it from the area above the hitch or may have to remove the battery to get to it.

Rich Walker

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fuse will normally be in the area of the battery. If under the hood. look around the area under the battery, sometimes will be clipped to the supports that hold the steering shaft. If the battery is under the seat then look under there. May be able to get to it from the area above the hitch or may have to remove the battery to get to it.

Managed to get the entire yard (1 acre) cut/leaves bagged, etc.

Changes: new spark plug (OEM), air filter, fuel filter. I think the biggest change was I washed it. It seemed to run really good then. :laughing: Just kidding. But it did seem to run well after a sip of Seafoam in one gallon of fresh fuel.

Mowing. Ran great for about 15 mins. Then, wham. Just shut right off. No sputtering, no attempting to continue combustion. It was as if the key was turned off, so I suspect that might be electrical. Sat for about 15 seconds, fired right up first try.

Moved to the front yard, it then began a surging at all engine speeds but low. Yet the surging seemed to go away for the most part when the blades were engaged.

Have not attempted to locate the fuse. But it could be loose/corroded. I'll take a gander at that on the morrow. Wife has more on the honey do list.

Appreciate your time! I'm familiar with antique engines, namely Triumph motorcycles. But small engines are sometimes challenging.

Rich

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would also check to see that the connection of the negative cable to the chassis is clean and tight. Not a uncommon problem.