Cub Cadet LT1040 not properly cutting on the right side

n3ntj

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet LT1040 not properly cutting on the right side
I have an LT 1040 lawn tractor that I bought in approx. 2009. Recently (the past few months), I've noticed that the right side blade doesn't cut too well. After a pass, there is still some longer scraggly grass remaining seeming as if the blade is very dull. I am not cutting excessively high grass (maybe 3~4" long at most). I figured it was a blade sharpening issue so I resharpened it to no avail. I still have the original blades installed and have always used the mulching plug on the deck. I called my dealer and they serviced it including sharpening the blades.

I get the tractor back, same issue. I have the dealer service rep look at it and he agrees there is an issue. He sends a tech out and he can find nothing that would cause my issue. I always set my deck cutting height at around the 4 setting. He suggested removing the mulching plug so the grass simply discharges out of the side shoot from the deck. That seems to work better but still not perfect. The dealer is at a loss as to what is causing the issue and so am I. Anyone with suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would consider replacing the blades, especially if they are the original from 2009. Air lifts get worn down, break off, etc. If this changed recently I would be looking at the blades hard.

Honda Tech

Threads
I have an LT 1040 lawn tractor that I bought in approx. 2009. Recently (the past few months), I've noticed that the right side blade doesn't cut too well. After a pass, there is still some longer scraggly grass remaining seeming as if the blade is very dull. I am not cutting excessively high grass (maybe 3~4" long at most). I figured it was a blade sharpening issue so I resharpened it to no avail. I still have the original blades installed and have always used the mulching plug on the deck. I called my dealer and they serviced it including sharpening the blades.

I get the tractor back, same issue. I have the dealer service rep look at it and he agrees there is an issue. He sends a tech out and he can find nothing that would cause my issue. I always set my deck cutting height at around the 4 setting. He suggested removing the mulching plug so the grass simply discharges out of the side shoot from the deck. That seems to work better but still not perfect. The dealer is at a loss as to what is causing the issue and so am I. Anyone with suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

From your description of the issue, I see several possibilities. The first may be the amount of grass you are cutting. While mulching, which is the hardest type of mowing for a mower, as all the clippings are contained in the deck and typically cut multiple times before dispensing back into the yard. Rule of thumb has always been to cut no more than 3/4" of grass at a time, which may mean that you will either have to mow more frequently or go over your yard twice. Cutting much more than that will 'choke' your mower deck. The reason the issue is on the right side is because the left side is throwing all of it's clippings to the right side, so it is having to deal with twice as much grass.

Now, you also mentioned that you tried it without the mulch plug and it was better but not great. This would lead me to believe that you may also have a spindle bearing failing and/or the belt is worn and slipping. I would recommend visually inspecting your belt for wear and the spindles. If you feel any resistance in the spindle, it needs to be replaced.

The only other possible issues I can think of are: Are you using Mulching Blades? Standard blades create too much airflow and will actually lay the grass down before it is able to be cut, hence, the straglers. Are you running the engine at Wide-Open Throttle? Very important to do so. The last suggestion I have is to make sure the front deck skirt is not bent as that will have a drastic affect on the airflow. If it is bent up, it will cause air to blow downward, pushing the grass down and keeping the blades from being able to cut it.

Good luck!

n3ntj

Forum Newbie
Threads
From your description of the issue, I see several possibilities. The first may be the amount of grass you are cutting. While mulching, which is the hardest type of mowing for a mower, as all the clippings are contained in the deck and typically cut multiple times before dispensing back into the yard. Rule of thumb has always been to cut no more than 3/4" of grass at a time, which may mean that you will either have to mow more frequently or go over your yard twice. Cutting much more than that will 'choke' your mower deck. The reason the issue is on the right side is because the left side is throwing all of it's clippings to the right side, so it is having to deal with twice as much grass.

Now, you also mentioned that you tried it without the mulch plug and it was better but not great. This would lead me to believe that you may also have a spindle bearing failing and/or the belt is worn and slipping. I would recommend visually inspecting your belt for wear and the spindles. If you feel any resistance in the spindle, it needs to be replaced.

The only other possible issues I can think of are: Are you using Mulching Blades? Standard blades create too much airflow and will actually lay the grass down before it is able to be cut, hence, the straglers. Are you running the engine at Wide-Open Throttle? Very important to do so. The last suggestion I have is to make sure the front deck skirt is not bent as that will have a drastic affect on the airflow. If it is bent up, it will cause air to blow downward, pushing the grass down and keeping the blades from being able to cut it.

Good luck!

When the dealer had the tractor, they checked all belts and the spindles and did replace 2 spindles due to some bearing wear they saw. My issue continued after that repair. When I go over the same area of grass the 2nd time, it often still doesn't cut it properly so I don't think it is a height issue (trying to cut too long of grass at a time). I suggested replacing the blades but the dealer didn't think that would make a difference.. the original blades I have are mulching blades with rising flare on the opposite side of the cutting edge. After cutting the yard, you can readily tell which direction I drove since the one side is not properly cut. The engine (18 hp Kohler) is always at full throttle whenever the deck blades are running. From what I can tell, the front of the deck is not bent or otherwise deformed at all. If the grass is a little on the long side, I tend to drive slower to help prevent clogging, etc. I would think your suggestions are all things that my dealer should have looked at since they've had the tractor twice. I asked the dealer to place contact Cub Cadet to see what they can tell them since the dealer is at a loss of ideas for some reason. Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Our ltx1040 was doing the same thing, I turned the blades over and so it gave a new cutting edge towards the grass. But yes, I would go with the cheapest option of replacing the blades.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Our ltx1040 was doing the same thing, I turned the blades over and so it gave a new cutting edge towards the grass. But yes, I would go with the cheapest option of replacing the blades.

What kind of blades did you have? On any of my mower blades, that would put the lift portion of the blade into the uncut grass.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
He has blades the cut grass.:2cents::cool:

n3ntj

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dealer installed new blades yesterday and the issue remains. Very odd that I can't get a clean cut on the right side with both blades replaced. The last 6" or so on the right side looks 'scraggly' like a dull cut. The dealer tech has no idea what is going on. I had contacted Cub Cadet, too, and they only suggested replacing the blades. Apparently my issue is stumping everybody.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you tried standing behind the mower and look at the deck to see if it's un even??

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
My friend also had a CC that did that, and he put a new belt on it and started cutting great!