Kohler 23 hp choke/throttle hookup?

Colimotl

Forum Newbie
Threads
SITUATION: Replaced 27 hp Kohler engine with a 23 hp Kohler engine.

I took my yard tractor to an authorized Kohler dealer for the final electrical and choke/throttle hookups and when I picked it up, it looked as pictured below. However, the choke lever activated the throttle and the throttle lever operated the choke. I took it back and after one month, they called and said that they were unable to figure out the linkage for the choke.

They did switch the cables and the throttle lever now does actually activate the throttle (see red circle). The second cable simply is disconnected. Can anyone tell me how to connect the second cable to the choke?

Thank you.

Double click on image to enlarge.

Kohler 23 hp linkage bad.png

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I find it hard to believe that a service shop could not work it out...!
The bottom cable that is going to the lever with the blue marks (to the left of photo) is that the governor lever, if so the cable should not be on that. the lever with the red circle should be the choke...! take off the cables and then move the the choke rod to see which lever moves, then fit the choke cable to that lever, do the same with the throttle lever.
By pulling the other lever (throttle) should put tension on the governor springs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

Colimotl

Forum Newbie
Threads
EngineMan, thank you for your prompt response and drawing. I, too, found it difficult to accept that an authorized dealer could not hook up the choke and throttle cables. The whole experience cost me $130 plus, rental for another mower and a lot of wasted time. However, I must say that my new 23 hp Kohler engine runs well and starts easily — once I prime the carburetor with a few drops of gas. But taking the air filter off every time that I start the engine is tiresome. As I stated in my first post, the picture shows exactly how they first attempted to hook up the choke and throttle. I am attaching two additional drawings that I found in my service manual for my 23 hp Kohler engine. Also, I am attaching your drawing with a question mark in red on a part, the shape of which does not appear on my engine. I’ll attempt to follow your instructions. Again, thank you for your help.

Attachments

• part?.png
    part?.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Governor:Throttle Control.png
    Governor:Throttle Control.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 159
  • throttle & choke components.png
    throttle & choke components.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 155

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The lever with the spring(s) on is the throttle lever.... in your photo its on the governor arm (lever) which it shouldn't be, remove both cables and move a lever to see what moves...! the lever that moves the choke linkage ( you will see by looking at the choke opening and closing, that's the one you put on the choke cable on, move the other lever (not the governor arm) that should put tension on the spring(s) from the governor Arm, put your throttle cable on that one.

guyina4x4

Threads
20171016_202833.jpg

the choke cable goes to the top lever(bottom cable in the pic) and the throttle to the lower lever (top cable in the pic)

I'd find a new mechanic
actually I'd figure it out myself, pretty much the same way you did, forums and youtube

Last edited:

zman111666

Threads
I just worked on one like this yesterday, and from what I can see, you need to move the throttle up one hole (on the same lever it is on), and eliminate the choke cable altogether. That looks like the type that turns the choke on by simply moving the throttle forward all the way. In other words, push throttle all the way forward to choke, then pull back the throttle 1/4 of its travel after it starts for full throttle without choke. Your old motor had the throttle and choke on different controls, this one requires only one. The mechanic didn't seem to understand this, and tried to find a place for both cables.

The reason you need to move the throttle up a hole is so that you get more response with less travel of the control lever. It has to reach full throttle by 3/4 of the throw.

To adjust your cable, loosen the clamp, move your throttle control all the way up, and slide the cable forward until the choke butterfly is all the way closed, then tighten the clamp. The issue I had to fix yesterday was that the cable wasn't adjusted right, and the choke wouldn't close enough for the customer to get it started without priming it.

Last edited:

guyina4x4

Threads
I just worked on one like this yesterday, and from what I can see, you need to move the throttle up one hole (on the same lever it is on), and eliminate the choke cable altogether. That looks like the type that turns the choke on by simply moving the throttle forward all the way. In other words, push throttle all the way forward to choke, then pull back the throttle 1/4 of its travel after it starts for full throttle without choke. Your old motor had the throttle and choke on different controls, this one requires only one.

The reason you need to move the throttle up a hole is so that you get more response with less travel of the control lever. It has to reach full throttle by 3/4 of the throw.

To adjust your cable, loosen the clamp, move your throttle control all the way up, and slide the cable forward until the choke butterfly is all the way closed, then tighten the clamp. The issue I had to fix yesterday was that the cable wasn't adjusted right, and the choke wouldn't close enough for the customer to get it started without priming it.

20171016_202833.jpg
so the fact that mine (cub 2185) is almost identical to his (cub slt1554) should be overlooked?

zman111666

Threads
View attachment 34501
so the fact that mine (cub 2185) is almost identical to his (cub slt1554) should be overlooked?

Well, I think the biggest difference (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that your picture is a top view, and his is a front view. Your linkages seem to be laying flat, on the top of the engine, and his are down low and vertical in front of the engine, below the carb.

Of course, the quick test would simply to unhook the choke cable, and see if the choke still operates with the throttle cable only. I wish the one I worked on yesterday was still here, so I could show you that it wasn't just close, but exactly like the OPs.
In fact, it looks like you have a horizontal shaft engine, when he has clearly a vertical shaft.

cub-cadet-slt-1554-with-triple-bagger-americanlisted_30047249.jpg2185.jpg

zman111666

Threads
This one pic shows the two different setups.

throttle setups.png

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes zman111666 I think you have...!